Rod Library--Special Collections
Agnes Ann Hanus Luze Collection
Manuscript collection: MsC-71
Agnes Ann Hanus collection, 1919-1936. 1.25 linear feet
Agnes Ann Hanus was born on June 16, 1915. She was the daughter of Anton and Mary Vokoun Hanus. She attended the Iowa State Teachers College in the summer of 1933. She taught at the Oneida School near Clutier in Tama County, Iowa, in the mid-1930s. She married Carl Luze (September 21, 1913-November 16, 1997) in Dysart, Iowa. She died on January 4, 2004.
This collection includes schoolwork prepared by Agnes Hanus while she was in school and material that she used when she taught school.
Agnes Hanus's schoolwork consists primarily of notebooks that she prepared in 1929 when she was in eighth grade. The notebooks include reports, essays, and newsclippings. There are also several items relating to her attendance at the Iowa State Teachers College in the summer of 1933. Included among those items is a day-by-day account book that she kept while in school.
Agnes Hanus also kept a large collection of material associated with classroom teaching, especially grade school artwork. This material includes selections from professional literature, clippings from popular magazines, many examples of school artwork, and classroom decorations. Some of the material is organized along topics such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Japan. As a whole, this collection of classroom material gives a good picture of the appearance and activities of a small school in the middle 1930s.
There is a small collection of schoolbooks in Box 3.
The University Archives received this collection from Professor Judith Finkelstein in 2010.
Agnes Hanus biographical material, including account book kept while at Iowa State Teachers College, summer 1933
Velma Vinding report cards and school attendance reports, 1919-1929
Agnes Hanus school notebooks, 1929
- History Outline notebook
- Literature notebook
- Penmanship notebook
- World War Events notebook
- American Literature notebook
- Physiology notebook
- Japan notebook
- My Guidance notebook
- National Parts scrapbooik
Clippings, decorations, and seatwork
- Mabel B. Nelson. A summary of the important events of United States History. Klipto Loose Leaf Company. Mason City, Iowa. 1935.
- J. W. Searson and George E. Martin. Studies in reading; eighth grade. University Publishing Company. Chicago. 1917.
- Lucy Fitch Perkins. The cave twins. Houghton Mifflin Company. Boston. 1944.
- Rebecca S. Pollard. First book for little folks. Western Pubishing House. Chicago. 1898.
- Sarah Louise Arnold. The mastery of words. Iroquois Publishing Company. Syracuse, New York. 1920.
Collection processed and described by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, April 2011.