Rod Library--Special Collections
Karl and Martha Holvik Band Scrapbook
Archives Record Series: 14/05/20
Karl and Martha Holvik, band scrapbook, (c. 1958-c. 1960), and band recordings. .5 linear feet.
Karl Holvik joined the UNI faculty as an instructor of woodwind instruments in 1947. He directed several bands during his tenure. He retired as a Professor of Instrumental Conducting in 1984.
Martha Holvik joined the faculty as an instructor of music in 1970. She founded the UNI Suzuki Program. She retired as an Assistant Professor of Viola and Theory in 1986.
The scrapbook consists of photographs and a few newsclippings relating to band trips and performances from about 1958 until about 1960. Some photos are labeled; many are not. Probably both Karl and Martha Holvik compiled this scrapbook at the time when the photos were taken.
Martha Holvik gave the scrapbook to Tabitha Langis in 2005, when she was conducting research for her History of Bands at the University of Northern Iowa, 1892-2005. Tabitha Langis donated the scrapbook to the University Archives in 2006, at the completion of her research. Martha Holvik also gave Tabitha Langis a collection of band performance programs which are included in material related to the Langis essay.
In January 2014, the Holviks' daughter gave additional photographs and band recordings to the University Archives.
Scrapbook of photographs and a few newsclippings relating to band trips and performances, c. 1958-c. 1960
Photographs of Karl Holvik and his bands
Amphion: a concert march. Written for the occasion of the dedication of the Cedar Falls Municipal Band Shell; June 25, 1996, and dedicated to Karl M. Holvik, Professor of Music and Director of Bands, Emeritus; University of Northern Iowa, by Dennis J. Smith (autographed by Dennis Smith)
Recordings of UNI band performances, audiocassette format
- UNI Alumni Band, September 5, 1982
- UNI Band and Concert Chorale, May 10, 1972
- UNI Wind Ensemble, December 7, 1976
- UNI Bands Tape II, April 28, 1980
- Side 1: Symphony No. 2, John Barnes Chance; Serenade for Solo Alto Saxophone, Frank Benecriscutto; Mozart Serenade No. 10, Steve Porter
- Side 2: Sinfonietta, Ingolf Dahl 1.) Susserendo 2.) Pastoral Nocturne 3.) Dance Variations
- UNI Bands Tape III, April 25, 1978
- Side 1: Prelude to Die Meistersinger, Wagner; Concertino, Weber; Manzoni Requiem, Verdi; Sonitus Revelationis, Hogancamp
- Side 2: Fanfare to Precede La Peri, Dukas; Fantasies on a Theme, Haydn; On The Mall, Goldman
- Holvik "Top 50" Tape IV
- Side 1: Intro to Act III from Lohengrin, Wagner; Irish Tune and Shepherd's Hey, Grainger; Dramatic Essay, C. Williams; Suite from the Water, Handel; Gymnopedie, Eric Satie; Polka from "the Bolt", Shostakovich
- Side 2: Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes by Weber, Hindemith; Symphonic Songs, Bennett; Serenade, Dvorak; Fantisia in G Major, Bach; Sussex Mummers Christmas Carol, Grainger; Scarborough Fair, Clark
- UNI "Top 50" Tape V
- Side 1: Concerto Conclusion, Handel; Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, Bach; Liturgical Music, Mailman; Nutcracker Suite, Tchaikovsky; Masquerade Ovt., Neilsen
- Side 2: Tuba Concerto, Williams
- Holvik "Top 50" Tape IV
- Side 1: Piccolo Concerto, Vivaldi; Someone to Watch Over Me, Gershwin; Fidelity March, King; The Occasional Suit, Phillips; Mini Suite, Gould; Prelude on Brother James's Air, Wright;
- Side 2: Overture to Marriage of Figaro, Mozart; Bach; Sarabande, Debussy; Bach (again); Da Capo, Boulanger; Black is the Color, Reed
- UNI Top 50 Tape VII
- Side 1: Hill Song No. 2, Grainger; Lincolnshire Posy, Grainger; Robinson's Grand Entree, King; O Sacred Head, Bach/Wright; Chester Overture, Schuman; Suite Francaise, Milhaud
- Side 2: Dramatic Essay, William; Prelude and Fugue, Nelhybel; Oboe concerto No. 3, Handel
- UNI Wind Ensemble IBA 1981
- UNI Wind Ensemble German Music rehearsal
- UNI Wind Ensemble, 1976
- Irish Tune, Grainger; Shepherds' Hey, Grainger; Armenian Dances Part 1, Reed; Robinson's Grand Entree, King; Troupe Days Barnum and Bailey, King
- UNI Wind Ensemble, February 2, 1977
- Suite in E flat, Holst
- UNI Wind Ensemble
- Sonitus Revelationus, Hill
Material initially processed and finding aid prepared by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, June 2006; additions to collection processed by Student Assistant Renee Croghan; last modified, January 16, 2014 (GP).