Rod Library--Special Collections
Lora Lee Rackstraw Papers
Archives Record Series: 14/03/13
Lora Lee Rackstraw, (1931- ). Papers, (1960-1996). 12 linear feet.
Lora Lee Pugh Wilson Rackstraw was born on June 27, 1931, in Omaha, Nebraska. She graduated from Clear Lake High School in 1949. She continued her education at Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa, where, in 1953, she received a B. A. in Psychology. She also studied Philosophy and English at Grinnell College. She took graduate work at the Iowa State Teachers College, now the University of Northern Iowa, in 1959 and 1960, but did not complete a degree. She finished her graduate coursework in 1966 at the University of Iowa and was awarded a Master of Fine Arts degree in English.
Lora Lee Rackstraw began work at UNI in 1961 as an Information Assistant in the College Relations Office. She remained in this position until 1964 or 1965. In 1966, Professor Rackstraw became a faculty member of the Department of English Language and Literature at the University of Northern Iowa, when she was hired as an Instructor of English. In 1969 she became Assistant Professor of English. In 1975 she was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor. She retired from the faculty in 1996.
Professor Rackstraw's papers consist of two groups.
Boxes 1 through 4 are organized into one alphabetical subject file. The subjects covered include, among others, the Department of English Language and Literature, course materials in the humanities and creative writing, scholarly research, environmental studies and concerns, and women's issues and studies. Professor Rackstraw gave the contents of these four boxes of to the University Archives when she retired in 1996.
Boxes 5 through 8 are organized into broad subject areas. Professor Rackstraw gave the contents of these two boxes in February and March 2011.
Professor Rackstraw's papers are strong in her area of special research: the work of Kurt Vonnegut. That portion of her papers includes many secondary sources as well as her own research and writing. Her papers also provide an excellent look at the way in which the university offered the Humanities I course in the General Education sequence in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Arts and Sciences College--Collegiate Restructuring, 1989
- Associated Writing Program Newsletter
- Association for Integrated Studies, 1989-1991
- Association for Integrative Studies Conference-Miami, 2/84
- Bible, 1988
- Booklists, Spring 1984
- Brain Mind Bulletin, 1982
- Brigham, Besmilr
- British and American Short Story Course, Spring 1969
- Budget Crisis, 1991
- Canon Panel
- Chalice and the Blade Study Questions/Answers, 1989
- Chapters from Books and Articles from Magazines A-D:
- Arrowsmith, William - "The Shame of the Graduate Schools: A Plea for a New American Scholar"
- Berge, William - "That Lovely Green Boat"
- Bohm, David, PhD - "The Enfolded Order and Consciousness"
- Bunin, J. - "Gentle Breath"
- Capra, Fritjof - "The Systems View of Life;" "The Impasse of Economics"
- Cassill, R.V. - "The Father"
- Daniel, Glyn - "Megalithic Monuments"
- Douglas, Mary - "Away from Ritual"
- Dykeman, Therese B. - "The Physics of Rhetoric"
- Chapters from Books and Articles from Magazines E-J:
- Erenfeld, David - "Misanthropy and the Rejection of Humanism"
- Fodor, Jerry A. - "The Mind-Body Problem"
- Fromm, Erich - "Symbolic Language in Myth, Fairy Tale, and Novel"
- Gray, J. Patrick & Wolfe, Linda D. - "Sociobiology and Creationism: Two Ethnosociologies of American Culture"
- Gurevich, A.J. - "Time as a Problem of Cultural History"
- Jantsch, Erich - "Inter- and Transdisciplinary University: A Systems Approach to Education and Innovation"
- Chapters from Books and Articles from Magazines K-Z:
- Layzer, David - "The Arrow of Time"
- Leakey, Mary D. & Hay, Richard L. - "The Fossil Footprints of Laetoli"
- Livingston, Robert - "Perception and Commitment"
- Marin, Peter - "What the Vietnam Vets Can Teach Us"
- Nochlin, Linda - "The Musee d'Orsay: A Symposium"
- Reagan, Ronald - "Inaugural Address of President Ronald Reagan"
- Roszak, Theodore - "Forbidden Games"
- Roth, Philip - "The Conversion of the Jews"
- Taylor, A.E. - "Plato: The Man and his Work"
- Warren, Robert Penn - "Blackberry Winter: A Recollection"
- Wheeler, John Archibald - "Beyond the Black Hole;" "Genesis and Observership"
- Wilber, Ken - "Odyssey: A Personal Inquiry into Humanistic and Transpersonal Psychology"
- China Mission Summary Report, 1984
- Chopin Presentation
- CLEP-College Level Examination Program
- Cluster College--General Education Proposal
- College of Humanities and Fine Arts--PAC
- Composition I and II Courses
- Composition I Course--Handouts
- Computer Grant Application, 1991 & 1994
- Constitutions--UNI & Department of English
- Continental Short Story Course, Summer 1969 and Spring 1976
- Coordinator Job Descriptions--TESOL & Writing
- Creative Writing Course, Spring 1992
- Couch, Carl J.--Iowa City
- Craft of Fiction, Fall 1971
- Creative Writing Course, Summer 1970 and Spring 1993
- Creative Writing: Fiction, Spring 1994
- Critical Theory and Practice Group
- Davidson, William D.
- deRomilly, Jacqueline-Time in Greek Tragedy 1968
- Dean's Promotion & Tenure Advisory Committee
- Department of English: Bylaws; Curriculum Committee, 1990-91; Mission & Planning, 1989-90; Mission and Planning Survey; Senate, 1989-1992; Standing Committees, 1990-91; Strategic Plan, 1989-91
- Didion, Joan 1979
- Drafts by Loree Rackstraw
- Dyadic Encounter
- Earth Mother and Father Time: 1982; Iowa State Press, 1979; Prospectus, abstracts, first chapter
- Earth Week, 1976
- The Ecology of Literature Course, Spring 1975
- The Ecology of Literature Course, Spring 1975-Student Project Proposals
- Education for Survival: Biographies; Evaluations; Follow-up; News Media; Project Description and Programs; Report to Iowa Board for Public Programs in the Humanities, 1973; Speaker's Schedule, 1973
- Einstein, Albert
- Elderhostel, 1978
- Environmental Conferences, 1973
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Perceptions Minor
- Environmental Perceptions Minor--Self Study, 1994
- Environmental Problems Seminar
- Environmental Problems--Studies, 1975
- Environmental Studies Office (Oregon)
- "Excellence in Undergraduate Education: The English Department" Script
- Faculty Public Relations
- Faculty Recruitment, 1994
- Faculty Recruitment Committee, 1991
- Faculty Specialties, 1990
- Federal Grants-Environmental or Interdisciplinary Studies
- Fellowships, Grants, and Professional Development Leave Proposals
- Fiction Workshop
- Fiction Workshop, Spring 1976
- Fiene, Don, 1977
- Future Studies
- General Education Program--A Curriculum for Survival
- Great Gatsby project with Tony McAdams, 1992
- Group Discussion Techniques
- Hallberg, Fred
- Hansen, William G. "Social Mythologies & Environmental Education"
- A "Happening" Winter 1969
- Harlequin Romantic Intrigue
- Hemingway, Ernest
- Hirsch, E.D., Jr.
- Honors Program
- Humanities Coordinating Committee, 1992-93
- Humanities Faculty, 1993
- Humanities Major Review, 1993-95
- Illich, Ivan
- Individual Studies Program--Prospectuses
- "Inner Weather"
- Integrated Courses--Maine
- Interdisciplinary Seminar
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Appendix to Proposal; Committee; Grants, Etc.; President Curris, 1983
- Intermediate Writing Course, Fall
- Intermediate Writing: Exposition Course
- International College--New Natural Philosophy
- Introduction to College Writing Course: 1984; Staffing, 1990; Staffing, 1991
- Introduction to Literature Course: Summer 1985; Fall 1991; Spring 1996
- Iowa Arts Council--Special Day Activities, 1972-1973
- Iowa Woman Award Nomination, 1991
- Journalism Interest Group, 1991
- Jung--Analytical Psychology Club
- Klagenfurt, Austria, 1991
- Klinkowitz, Jerome
- Lang Hall conditions, 1988
- Lawrence, D.H.
- Lindisfarne Association--William Irwin Thompson
- Mailing Lists
- Master of Fine Arts Degree
- Master of Philosophy Degree, 1987
- McCright, Matt
- Meeker, Joseph W.--Essays
- Minorities Education
- Monmouth College, 1982
- Mythology Course: Bibliography; Joseph Campbell
- Mythology Course: Library Research Paper; Spring 1991; Spring 1992; Study Questions/Answers; Syllabi, 1989-1995
- Mythology: Goddess; Greek God Model; History; Mesopotamia; Theories
- National Endowment for the Humanities, 1976
- Night College, 1977
- Particle Physics
- Peace Institute
- Playboy January 1967
- Post-Modern Fiction Course
- Post-Modern Seminar, Spring 1991
- Postmodernism Forum--"What is Postmodernism?" 1988
- Pribam, Karl
- Prigogine, Ilya
- Probation Policy
- Professional Assessment Committee: 1994; English Department; Reform
- Professional Development Leave, 1990
- Programs, 1978-79
- Programs and Resources
- Promotion and Tenure, 1991
- Promotion Board
- "Protein Energy: A Myth for the Future."
- Rackstraw Essays
- Rackstraw, Richard--Manuscript of Poems
- Research Grant Applications, 1979-81
- "A Rose for Emily"--Faulkner
- Scholes, Robert
- Sexist Language
- Sexual Harassment
- Sheldrake, Rupert A New Science of Life..., 1981
- Short Novel Course, Spring 1979
- Short Story Conference, 1992
- Spring 1993
- Student papers
- Student Recommendation Letters RESTRICTED
- TESS Program
- UNI-CUE--Student Papers, 1973-74 RESTRICTED
- Uses of the Humanities, Fall 1980
- Viet Nam (Moratorium)
- Visiting Poets, Fall 1991
- Visiting Professor, 1991
- Vonnegut--Kurt Vonnegut--Seminar in Literature Course
- Women, Status of
- Women's Studies
- World Order Studies
- Writing Associates, 1991
- Writing Competency
- Young Bear, Ray A.--Individual Studies Major Committee
- Audio Recordings: Interview with Kurt Vonnegut, August 1973 (7" reel); "Planetary Culture," William Thompson (cassette); "New Connections Among Art, Science, and Technology," Dr. Joseph Meeker, October 10, 1978 (cassette)
- Notes on books and articles on a broad range of subjects
- Form of poetry class notes, fall 1965
- Teaching creative writing notes, fall 1972
- American novel class notes (Clark Griffith)
- Victorian literature class notes
- Form of fiction class notes (Cassill)
- Children's writing
- Curriculum vita and annual faculty activity reports
- Department of English Language and Literature, department head matters
- Richard Rackstraw manuscripts
- Richard Rackstraw correspondence about publication of Only Let There Be Peace anthology, 1971-1973
- Correspondence, summer 1982 research
- Correspondence, Thomas Remington
- Correspondence, North American Review
- Harold Taylor
- Paul Engle
- Short stories and essays by Lora Lee Rackstraw
- Mythology course notes, syllabus, and examinations
- Capstone course planning notes
- Creative writing notes
- Humanities I syllabus, examinations, teaching materials, and notes
- Kurt Vonnegut secondary material; Rackstraw notes and essays; plans for publication of Vonnegut Visions, and fall 1987 Vonnegut Seminar notes
- Cedar Arts Forum minutes and notes
- "Love Song for Iowa", Bonnie Koloc
- Legal file--RESTRICTED USE
Professor Rackstraw received press credentials as a representative of the North American Review to the meeting of the 48th International PEN Congress in New York City in 1986. She took many photographs and collected a great deal of printed information there. She reported on the meeting in an article in the North American Review.
- Professor Rackstraw's press credentials
- News coverage in secondary sources
- "PEN: a report from the front." North American Review, volume 271, number 1, March 1986. Professor Rackstraw's notes and article on the PEN Congress
- Meeting arrangements and material
- Writers' statements
- Photographs of meeting participants, including many of Kurt Vonnegut
Mementos of Professor Rackstraw's trip to Samoa and Hawaii
Benign respect, 1970 (Essay by Professor Rackstraw)
Between sun and moon (Essay by Professor Rackstraw)
Eugene McCarthy campaign, 1968
College Relations Office--material relating to Professor Rackstraw's work in that office
- Secondary material
- Professor Rackstraw's reviews of Vonnegut's work
- Donation of Vonnegut drawings to University of Iowa Library
- Appraisal of Vonnegut books and correspondence
- The book of Bokonon, edited by Eugene Wallingford
- Vonnegut postcards by Asa Pieratt
- Kurt Vonnegut and the Iowa connection (Presentation by Professor Rackstraw)
- Kurt Vonnegut's cast party (Essay by Professor Jerome Klinkowitz)
- Quantum leaps in the Vonnegut minefield (Essay by Professor Rackstraw)
- Kurt Vonnegut Society meeting, 1999
- Material associated with the writing and publication of Professor Rackstraw's book, Love as always, Kurt; Vonnegut as I knew him
Humanities photographic slides--Professor Rackstraw used these slides in her Humanities I class, and other classes as well. There are a few commercial slides in this collection, but Professor Rackstraw took most of the images herself during her travels. Professor Rackstraw's labels and arrangement have been preserved in the slide sheets.
- Karnak; Mesopotamia; Egypt, 1977
- Mythology; goddess cultures; Greece
- Italy, 1964; France, caves
- Romanesque; Gothic
- Turkey, Istanbul
- Crete; Mycenae; Greece
- Italian Renaissance
- Italy; Rome; Greek art and architecture
- London; Paris; Monet's Giverny
- Byzantine art
- Lascaux caves
- Chartres Cathedral; Bayeaux
- Selçuk to Tlos
- Athens; Acropolis
- Chartres; Paris
- Russian Orthodox Church--Millenium of the Baptism of the Rus
- Notre Dame; Chartres
- Deauville; Normandy
- Carnac; Normandy; Poitiers
- Christ Church, Oxford
- Dordogne; Lascaux
Humanities photographic slides, continued
- Athens, National Archaeological Museum
- Aegean Sea
- Caen (Normandy); St. Etienne (William the Conqueror)
- Normandy Beach Cemetery
- Mont St. Michel
- St. Malo
- Avignon; Orange
- St. Tropez; Conque
- Poros Museum
- Poitier; castle of Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Deauville (Normandy)
- London--Picadilly, Trafalgar, Blomsbury
- British Museum
- Saint-Germain en Laye Museum and Park
- Pol Bury show--Paris
- Rouen churches
- Peter Flessel--Molecular biology and modern physics (audiocassette)
- Fritjof Capra--Quantum paradoxes and Eastern mysticism (audiocassette)
- Gregory Bateson--Double binds and levels of context, 1976 (audiocassette)
- Erich Jantsch (audiocassette)
- Erich Jantsch, interviewed by Joseph Meeker, 1981 (audiocassette)
- Karl Pribam--New dimensions of consciousness, 1978 (audiocassette)
- Jean Houston--New dimensions of consciousness, 1978 (audiocassette)
- Jean Houston--Of archetypes and exetypes, 1976
- Samoa (two audiocassettes)
- Diane McGuinness, interviewed by Joseph Meeker--Male and female perspectives, 1980 (audiocassette)
- John King--Introductory discussions of quantum theory, 1976 (audiocassette)
- S. Keen--Energy and imagination, 1976 (audiocassette)
- Karl Pribam--Holograms of mind and nature (audiocassette)
- Rollo May and John Perry--Changing American myths (audiocassette)
- Donald Justice, tape recording for Richard Rackstraw (7 inch reel-to-reel audiotape)
- Souvenir painting of goddess on leather
- Modern Egyptian money
- Souvenir modern painting on Egyptian papyrus
- Souvenir scarab carved in stone
- Stones collected from Giza Plateau near pyramids
Stereoscopic viewer for commercial images in Humanities slides
Boxes 1 through 4 arranged and finding aid created by Library Assistant Susan Witthoft; January 1997; Boxes 5 through 8 arranged by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, February-April 2011.