Rod Library--Special Collections
Mementos, Awards, and Souvenirs
Archives record series: 02/08/09
Mementos, Awards, and Souvenirs, 7.5 linear feet.
Description of the Material
Presidents of the University of Northern Iowa often receive awards, recognition, and small gifts from a wide array of organizations and visitors. Some of these items are simple certificates or plaques. Other items, especially those from international visitors, are interesting objects that reflect the special interests or national origin of the visitors.
Description of Record Series
After President Koob left office in 2007, the staff of the President's Office sent the contents of Boxes 1-4 to the University Archives. This collection reflects the University's wide range of contacts and relationships on the local, national, and international levels. Most items are from the Koob administration; some are from the Curris and Allen administrations.
- Ceramic frame inscribed "UNI Volleyball", with a Panther on the bottom, approximately 6 X 8 inches, framing photo of an athletics event crowd that includes President Koob
- Two bronze medallions, approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter, from the Pedagogical Institute in St. Petersburg, Russia; institute building with statue on one side; institute symbol of pelican feeding its young on other side
- Pewter dish, approximately 4 1/4 inches in diameter, with outline map of the United States; commemorating fiftieth anniversary (1934-1984) of the National Association of Educational Office Personnel
- Two greenish glazed ceramic figures of dog-like mythical beasts, approximately 3 1/2 inches tall
- Blue and white ceramic plate, approximately 6 1/2 inches in diameter, inscribed, in Cyrillic, Saint Petersburg
- Black metal plaque, approximately 7 X 5 inches, with green felt on the bottom, inscribed UNI Center for Metal Casting . . . first iron poured, April 30, 1991
- Embroidery, using green, red, and orange thread, approximately 8 X 11 inches, in gold-painted wooden frame, inscribed Dai Hoc Dalat (a educational partner of UNI in Viet Nam)
- Wooden plaque from the University of Cape Coast (Ghana), with a seal and the Latin motto "Veritas Nobis Lumen"
- Plastic black and gold plate that reads, "Guangzhou Institute of Physical Education", approximately 10 inches in diameter; two plastic holders to be used in displaying the plate; packed in cardboard box
- Black metal statue of a classical figure of a man on a pedestal, about 7 inches tall, winged helmet, painted gold highlights
- Rectangular ceramic ash tray, approximately 6 X 7 inches, with a coat of arms in the center, off white, red, blue, and gold highlights
- Dark stained wooden box with red felt top, approximately 10 X 12 inches; inside is a plaque from the Instituto Politecnico de Macau, inscribed in Portuguese and English, offering congratulations on the inauguration ceremony of the UNI Wellness and Recreation Center on November 10, 1998
- Smoking pipe, dark wood, approximately 15 inches long
- Dark tan coral on pedestal, approximately 6 inches tall
- Black etched metal plate with figures of seven gold llama-like animals mounted on it, approximately 11 inches in diameter; mounted plaque inscribed to President Koob, from the University of Terapaca Arica--Chile, September 1998; wooden display stand included
- Blue and white ceramic bell with ship and crest on the side, approximately 3 inches tall, inscribed, in Cyrillic, Saint Petersburg
- Two ceramic dark brown figures of a mythical dog-lion beast, approximately 5 1/2 inches tall
- Drinking glass, approximately 3 inches tall, inscribed UNI Army ROTC, with Panther head
- Wooden, red cloth-covered box, approximately 3 X 3 inches, with a blue dragon on it; inside is a bronze medallion, inscribed, in Chinese and English, Hebei Institute of Technology--1903
- Wooden block, approximately 3 X 3 inches, inscribed "Hunt-Wesson, Inc. Waterloo, Iowa. Ground-Breaking Ceremony. December 1996"
- White marble block, with gold and red metal plaque attacned to top, and a cork bottom; inscribed "North East Iowa Community College", with a logo
- White marble block, approximately 2 X 2 inches, with cork on the bottom and plaque mounted on the top; plaque includes seal of Harvard University
- Bronze medallion, approximately 2 inches in diameter, inside cardboard box, commemorating centennial of Iowa Academy of Science, 1976
- Bronze medallion, approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter, inside plastic case, commemorating 75th anniversary of Army ROTC
- Wooden letter "I", painted yellow and maroon, approximately 6 1/2 inches tall
- Red box, approximately 4 X 4 inches, encasing bronze medallion, approximately 2 1/2 inches in diameter, commemorating quincentennial of Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 1495-1995
- Wooden outline of the shape of the state of Iowa, mounted on a wooden base, with two brass writing pens also mounted on the base
- Plastic plaque, approximately 9 inches tall, with plastic mounting base, inscribed "2001 Chairman's Award" from the Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
- Wooden plaque, approximately 8 X 10 inches, with metal plate mounted onto it; inscription expresses thanks from Panther Marching Band to its alumni and administrative supporters, September 6, 2003
- Digital clock, encased in plastic, approximately 2 X 3 inches, from the University of Mississippi.
- Metal Boy Scouts of America symbol with felt on bottom, approximately 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches
- Wooden plaque, approximately 12 x 15 inches, with metal plate and medallions mounted onto it, from John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, thanking the University for serving as host to the Region V Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival, January 21-26, 2003
- Certificate of Appreciation to President Robert Koob for supporting the UNI Educational Opportunity Center Program, August 12, 2005
- Certificate of Appreciation to President Ben Allen for supporting the UNI Educational Opportunity Center Program, June 23, 2006
- Meritorious Service Award certificate presented to UNI for the International Youth Camp, 2003
- Certificate presented by Iowa Urban Potential to UNI for winning the Outstanding Leadership in Newsprint Award, July 14, 2006
- Certificate of appreciation to President Robert Koob for helping with the D.A.R.E. program at Northern University Middle School, December 19, 1996
- White on black framed sketch of the Acropolis, approximately 12 X 15 inches, inscribed on verso "Drawn by banker (Bank of Greece) from memory"; includes a display stand
- Krosno cultural heritage route, 2005 booklet
- Krosno commemorative crystal desktop decoration
- Missouri Valley Conference basketball commemorative desktop decoration, 2008
- Color photo of 2005 UNI football team mounted on wooden plaque; photo taken in association with NCAA I-AA national championship game in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Books and booklets relating to Saudi Arabia and especially associated with Saudi-US Relationship Conference held on campus, October 24, 2007
- Plate with 1855 map of Iowa; produced by Carol Kaas, of Kaas Glassworks, New York; gift of Michael Gartner to President Koob; accompanied by letter from Gartner discussing the map and describing the plate
- Publications from State University of Santa Catarina, Brazil: (1) UDESC; Universidade do estado de Santa Catarina; (2) Santa Catarina Brasil, oportunidades & negocios, panorama da sociedade catarinense atual; (3)Feito a maos, o artesanato em Santa Catarina
- Glass container labeled "Iowa Land", containing soil, corn, and soybeans
- Filter minder gauge, presented to President Allen
- Panther, brass casting, about twelve inches long and four inches high, mounted on oak base, presented by staff and students of Metal Casting Center to President Allen, June 27, 2006; autographed on bottom of base by presenters (currently on display in Special Collections reading room)
- Cannon, brass casting, about five inches long, mounted on oak base with wheels, CIC 60th anniversary, 2007, produced by students of Metal Casting Center, accompanying sheet includes production instructions and names of presenters (currently on display in Special Collections reading room)
- City College of Dongguan University of Technology; 10 X 10 clamshell box contains a round black ceramic plate 8 inches across. The inside edge of the plate is cutout filigree scroll. The center 5 inches of the plate is painted in gold Chinese characters of which the bottom letters are CCDGUT. The inside of the box is lined with a gold silk material.
- Dalian Nationalities University; light blue booklet 8½” inchesX 11¼ inches; contains school motto, pictures of the party leader, president, and scenes of the campus. Dalian City is located on the northeast China coast.
- Dalian Nationalities University; navy blue fabric wall hanging approximately 25 inches by 31 inches; painted picture of a young Chinese woman sitting and looking into a mirror that is orange with a white design. Background on left has images of male and female elders. The image on the right is a horse-drawn chariot. Sitting in the chariot are two elders, male in front with female behind. The horse and wheel of the chariot are black outlined in white. The elders on both sides have black faces and blue attire outlined with white. The young woman is white; her clothing has the colors of red, white, black, blue, yellow, and orange. The backside of the hanging has vertical threads in yellow, green, red, and white on the navy blue background. At the bottom of the hanging, the fringe has been gathered into five groups, each with a wooden bead.
- From Dalian Nationalities University; clam shell box 6 ¾ inches long X 5 inches wide, 4 3/8 inches high with lid. Box is lined in gold silk material. The box contains a clear glass object that is 3 1/8 inches square X 4 ¼ inches tall, with the round crest of the University etched on two sides with a small etched dove in the center of the circle. The etched letters in the circle are Chinese on top and Dalian Nationalities University on bottom. The inside of the glass object is 2 3/16 inches across X 3 1/16 inches deep. Etched on the other two sides of the glass object is an image of the main administration building. The beveled glass lid is 4 inches X 4 inches with a round aluminum piece attached on the bottom inside middle. The beveled edges are inscribed with Chinese characters.
- Dalian Nationalities Shopping bag with picture of the university, crest, and university information.
- In Dalian Nationalities shopping bag; A small material knotted piece, which can be hung on a wall or rear view mirror in a car. There are three fringes at the bottom. The inscribed red material medallion is 2 inches X 2 ½ inches long with Chinese knotting.
- In Dalian Nationalities shopping bag; A 5 ½ inches X 8 ½ inches color twenty page booklet: Colorful China: a celebration of China’s ethnic cultures. Introduction of China’s 56 ethnic communities.
- In Dalian Nationalities shopping bag; A thirty page 10 inches X 7 ¼ inches color booklet entitled Ethnic Groups in the Vast Land of China printed by International Department, State Ethnic Affairs Commission of P. R of China.
- In Dalian Nationalities shopping bag; A twenty page Theatrical Performance booklet, 5 ½ inches X 8 ½ inches entitled Colorful China: a celebration of China’s ethnic cultures.
- In Dalian Nationalities shopping bag; A forty page commemorative album, 10 ¼ inches X 14 1/8 inches, entitled Colorful China: Ethnic Cultural Week 2010 in US, by Delegation of China’s Ethnic Higher Education System, State Ethnic Affairs Commission of the People’s Republic of China, April 26, 2010.
- Guest registry for visit of the Dalai Lama, May 17, 2010
- Two painted Asian scrolls, one of which is enclosed in a green cardboard slipcase
• Green patterned fabric box with red velvet interior, approximately 7 x 4 ½ inches, gold, red, and white sticker on front with characters; box contains writing set from Yangzhou Writing-Brush Factory, including two writing brushes, red ink, rectangular dragon figurine, ink slab, and a note from the company
• Information from Hohai University in Nanjing, China; brochure describing the National Research Center for Resettlement, booklet describing the Business School of Hohai University and its missions, and book honoring the ninetieth anniversary (1915-2005) of Hohai University
• Dark red cardboard box with yellow silk lining, approximately 10 ½ x 7 inches, containing wooden plaque, approximately 8 ½ x 5 inches, from Hohai University with blue and gold logo on front and "Brief Introduction to Hohai University" on back; plaque opens to reveal several gold-tinged photos of Hohai University
• Silver box with brown velvet top inscribed “Shanghai Dianji University,” approximately 12 x 7 ½ inches, with a bronze clasp; contains dark blue book with characters printed on red and white silk pages
• Red box inscribed with a gold City College of Dongguan University of Technology (CCDGUT) logo, approximately 6 x 6 inches, with a yellow silk interior; contains clear round plaque with faceted edge, approximately 4 inches in diameter, etched with the same CCDGUT logo, mounted on a clear rectangular base; GuangDong, China
• Dark wooden box inscribed with “Sun Tzu – The Art of War,” approximately 6 x 10 ½ inches, with tan silk interior; contains map on hide and “War Strategy of Sun Wu” story laser engraved on bamboo slats connected by silk thread
• Red box with yellow silk lining, approximately 10 ½ x 8 inches; contains orange-colored vase with gold accents, including animal and floral designs, approximately 8 inches high, red rings hanging from handles, includes black base, approximately 4 inches in diameter; cream-colored tittot catalogue describing vases from the thirteenth anniversary collection; certificate of authenticity, including maintenance instructions
• Clear plaque with red base, approximately 3 x 4 inches, with gold-colored medallion inside, approximately 2 ½ inches in diameter, with University of Northern Iowa LUX logo inscribed on one side and UNI panther logo with UNI-Dome and Campanile on other side
• Clear plaque with etched City College of Dongguan University of Technology (CCDGUT) logo, approximately 4 x 2 inches; mounted on black base inscribed with gold characters, approximately 4 x 1 inches
• Clear plaque denoting the Best Practice Award for Collaboration with Community Colleges, etched with AACTE logo, approximately 8 x 6 inches; mounted on black base, approximately 9 x 2 ½ inches; February 1, 2006
• Silver wire embroidery depicting goats on a hill, on black background; matted and framed in dark wood frame inscribed “Guangzhou Sports Bureau,” approximately 9 x 11 inches
• Wooden plaque from the Hawkeye Chapter of the American Red Cross to the University of Northern Iowa, inscribed in gold on a black background, “In Appreciation of our Humanitarian Partnership,” approximately 8 ½ x 10 inches
• Embroidered tapestry of St. Petersburg, Russia, using thread of many colors, in wooden frame, approximately 13 x 9 ½ inches; shrink-wrapped
• Wooden plaque recognizing the University of Northern Iowa as a member of the Iowa Academy of Science since 1967, approximately 12 x 9 inches, includes gold-colored medallion with Iowa Academy of Science logo
• Red silk banner with yellow tassels, commemorating cooperation between City College of Dongguan University of Technology and University of Northern Iowa, approximately 15 x 11 inches; April 2009
• Black woven banner with gold decorative border and white tassels, printed with “The Paradox of Our Age” quotation from H. H. The XIV Dalai Lama, approximately 8 ½ x 14 inches; included is a green, gold and red decorated greeting card to President Benjamin Allen describing the sender’s visit to the Tibetan community-in-exile and UNI alumni
Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial medal. presented to President Benjamin Allen by Anna Mae Weems in honor of Black History Month, February 2012
Boxes 1-3 processed by student assistant Nile Jones and University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson; finding aid prepared by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, March 2008; additional material processed as it arrived in the Archives; Boxes 7 and 8 processed by Public History intern Casie Brockert, August 2011; last modified: August 29, 2014 (GP).