Rod Library--Special Collections
Peat Marwick Reports and Pappas Follow-up Studies, 1988-1996
Archives Record Series: 00/20/25
Peat Marwick Reports and Pappas Follow-up Studies, 1988-1996. 1.5 linear feet.
In 1988 the Iowa Board of Regents contracted with the consulting firm KPMG Peat Marwick to perform a study of Regents institutions, including the University of Northern Iowa. This was designated as Phase II of a broad look at the Regents institutions. This study included many aspects of operations, policies, and procedures of the Board, UNI, and other Regents institutions. Specifically, the study considered financial operations, strategic planning, management and administration, faculty workload, and unnecessary duplication of programs.
The resulting recommendations sparked a certain amount of controversy on campus.
The Pappas group, associated with Peat Marwick, undertook a follow-up study in 1995-1996 to assess the university's reaction to and compliance with the original series of reports.
Individual Peat Marwick reports came to the University Archives piecemeal from various sources during the 1990s. In 2006 something approaching a complete set came to the Archives from the President's Office.
- Management audit, Phase I, draft, January 6, 1988
- Board of Regents budgeting process, undated
- Proposal for Phase II, organizational audit, March 8, 1988
- Proposal for Phase II, organizational audit, March 14, 1988
- Resource guide, April 25, 1988
- Board of Regents and Regents institutions, strategic planning concept statement, October 24, 1988; undated draft included
- Board of Regents and Board of Regents office, organizational review, December 20, 1988
- Board of Regents faculty workload study, framework report, draft, January 23, 1989
- Letter to President Constantine Curris on study of program duplication, February 7, 1989
- Letter to Vice President and Provost James Martin on study of program duplication, February 10, 1989
- Board of Regents faculty workload study, framework report, February 28, 1989
- UNI faculty workload, March 1989
- Board of Regents, financial and management reporting, final report, March 1, 1989
- UNI organization and management operations, first draft, March 21, 1989
- UNI organization and staffing review, final report, May 1989
- Review of selected internal policies and procedures at UNI, final report, April 11, 1989
- Methodology for evaluation of academic program review, May 1989
- Evaluation of length of time to complete an undergraduate degree, June 8, 1989
- Executive summary on program duplication, June 19, 1989
- Review of program change methodology, July 21, 1989
- UNI strategic planning and management process, July 21, 1989
- Board of Regents study of program duplication, with appendices, July 21, 1989
- Board of Regents strategic planning process, August 1989
- Board of Regents length of time to complete an undergraduate degree, August 1989
- Funding analysis, September 13, 1989
- Follow-up by UNI on study of management environment, October 12, 1989
- Exhibits for follow-up study conducted by Pappas Group on UNI compliance with Peat Marwick recommendations
- Pappas Group final report on UNI compliance with Peat Marwick recommendations, February 9, 1996
- Organizational audit assessment, February 1996
Material processed and finding aid prepared by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson in June 2006; last modified: February 3, 2014 (GP).