Rod Library--Special Collections
UNI Connection/Faculty Dames
Archives Record Series: 07/10/03
UNI Connection/Faculty Dames. Papers (1993-2006). 2.5 linear feet.
The Faculty Dames was a club organized to "promote sociability and friendship among the faculty wives." The club met for the first time on March, 10, 1924. The Faculty Dames changed their name to the University Dames in 1972, and, in 1992, to UNI Connection. Sociability among faculty and faculty spouses is still promoted by UNI Connection. The group also operates a scholarship program for non-traditional students.
Yearbooks include descriptions of program themes as well as member and telephone numbers.
Folder: Journal: March, 10, 1924-April, 25, 1944.
List of original members. Meeting minutes, 1924-43. Faculty Dames songs. Rosters of members. Newspaper articles. Remembrances of deceased members.
Folder: Financial ledger: 1930-54.
Includes dues, statements, expenses, and disbursements. .
Folder: Financial ledger: 1948-1985.
Includes dues, statements, donations, scholarships, balances, credits, debits, expenses, and expense descriptions. Folder: Faculty Dames written histories.
"UNI Dames/Connections...a look back in time;" includes the start of the Faculty Dames, minutes from the first meeting, Faculty Dames Song, and minutes from other early meetings.
"SCI Dames, 1964;" brief recollection of the fortieth anniversary of the organization, which honored its charter members, and a brief history of the first meeting in 1924.
Folder: Faculty Dames Songs.
Words to Faculty Dames songs, with authors. Songs include; "Hurrah for the Faculty Dames," by H. H. Seerley, "The Falls of Deodar," by Mrs. C.A. Spear, "The Coming of the Dames," by Mabel Munns Charles, "Faculty Dames," by Mabel Munns Charles, and "Iowa Corn Song," by Mabel Munns Charles.
Folder: Newspaper Photos and captions.
Photos with captions of various events. Events include; pie party, garden party, holiday party, Fall Brunch 1975, 50 year anniversary, dinner dance, 40th anniversary party, and an article from the Northern Iowan, Tuesday, February, 8, 2000, p.11, about the UNI Connection scholarship program.
Folder: Yearbook Material File.
Includes: rosters, new staff members or members left out of the yearbook, 1971 brunch roster, questionnaires and recommendations on yearbooks, letters between yearbook committee members, 1982-83 yearbook cover; and mission, yearbook officers, and committee members, 1973-74.
Folder: UNI Connection Scholarship Committee events and information.
Includes: announcements, raffle tickets, membership information, memos, Waterloo Courier article, November 20, 2001, copy of Waterloo Courier article, February 12, 1995, invitations to various events, E-mail announcement.
Recipe for Clara Twaddle (Mrs. Homer) Seerley's molasses cookies, which were served at the first Faculty Dames meeting.
Folder: Little Faculty Dames meeting minutes and member rosters, 1963-65 1963 Little Faculty Dames meeting minutes, member roster, minutes for 1965 meeting, member roster for 1964-65 staff.
Folder: UNI Connection Newsletter, Fall 1999.
Secretary's book, 1944-1959, including meeting minutes, newsclippings, memorial statements, and the constitution
Secretary's book, 1959-1978, including meeting minutes, newsclippings, rosters of officers, and memorial statements
Chronological coverage of material in this box ranges widely, but tends to be concentrated in the 1980s
Tribute to Elsie Mach by Dorothy Grant, membership rosters, officer rosters, minutes, publicity, committees, finance and budget, newsletters, secretary's reports, president's reports, constitution, correspondence, 40th and 50th anniversaries memorabilia, 1979 skit script, contents of historian's scrapbook, 1974-1985; style show and brunch reports and publicity; Holiday Tea, 2001, photographs
The 49ers (members whose spouses came to campus in 1949)--roster, meeting plans, photograph (from Mrs. Ray Schlicher)
Material processed and finding aid created by Public History intern Will Dodd, September 2004; last modified: July 8, 2010 (GP)