Rod Library--Special Collections
UNI Jazz Archives
Archives Record Series: 14/05/16
Jazz Archives. 3 linear feet.
The first jazz band performed on the University of Northern Iowa campus on February 28, 1951, in the Commons ballroom. The band's quality has since gained national recognition. These papers contain newspaper articles, photos, biographies of jazz band members, and recordings of the band over the last fifty years. Former Professor James Coffin originated the idea of developing a Jazz Archives as he worked on the the program for the 50th Anniversary of UNI Jazz Bands.
- 50th Anniversary Packet for Alumni Jazz Band Members
- Correspondence to Alumni
- List of Alumni Band Members
- Program (with pictures)
- Map of the UNI campus
- Area Visitor Guide: Waterloo, Cedar Falls Iowa
- 50th Anniversary Sound Recording (compact disc), Programs, and Articles
- Jazz Band Newspaper Articles
- Jazz Band 50th Anniversary Correspondence
- Miscellaneous Correspondence
- Background information on Jazz Band
- "Dialogues with musicians"
- Photos - dated 1951-2001
- Photos identified by person
- Photos - undated
- Photocopies of photos
- Sound Recordings (compact discs) (2)
- "At Dusk" - UNI Jazz Band One, 1999-2000
- "Games" - UNI Jazz Band One
- Jazz Band Sound Recordings (reel to reel tapes)
- SDIJ XIX Tape 1, January 11, 1969
- CJF '69 Finals Tape 1, 2, and 3
- Midwest College Jazz Festival Elmhurst College, April 1970
- Cedar Falls, January 9, 1971
- ISTC Jazz Concert, February, 1951
- Jazz Band Video - "First jazz concert, 1951"
- Magazines with Jazz Band articles
- UNI Quarterly, 1972, vol. 3, no. 3
- Downbeat, December 28, 1955
- Jazz Band Programs
- Miscellaneous newspaper articles
- Newspapers with Jazz Band Articles
- The College Eye, September 28, 1951, vol. 43, issue 2
- The College Eye, October 5, 1951, vol. 43, issue 3
- The College Eye, February 22, 1951, vol. 43, issue 19
- The College Eye, November 16, 1956
- Dimensions in Jazz No. 10
- Jazz Band Sound Recordings (records)
- Sinfonian Dimensions in Jazz XVII, State College of Iowa Music Hall, January 1967
- Stage Band Showcase , University of Northern Iowa Jazz Band, record 3, volume 1
- 1969 North Central Menc Fargo, North Dakota, UNI Jazz Ensemble
- 8 mm film
- University Union Plaza, April 1972. Jazz I performed a segment for the 30-minute TV presentation produced by the National Headquarters of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Music Fraternity in conjunction with its 75th anniversary.
- JATC "Jazz at the Commons"
- Dimensions in Jazz no. 7
- Sheet Music
- "It Don't Mean a Thing (If You Ain't Got That Swing)"
- "Blue Skies"
- "Saber Dance"
- "Night and Day"
- "Body and Soul"
- "Orange Colored Sky"
- 50th Anniversary
- Collage Picture of Jazz Band members
Materials processed and finding aid developed by Julie Tilton, July 2001. Web finding aid edited and marked up by Library Assistant Gail Briddle, August, 2001; last updated September 12, 2013 (GP).