Rod Library--Special Collections
Verner Jensen Papers
Archives Record Series: 15/07/13
Verner Jensen. Papers, (1965-1993). 6.25 linear feet.
Verner Jensen was a faculty member at the University of Northern Iowa from 1965, when he began as Instructor of Physical Science, through 1991, when he retired as Professor of Physics.
These papers consist of material related to Verner Jensen's professional career. Of primary importance are correspondence, minutes, reports, and other material relating to the General Education Study Committee (1974-1976), of which Jensen was Chair. Also of significance is material relating to the Writing Across the Curriculum project. Jensen introduced a journal-keeping component into one of his physics classes as part of this project. Other papers in this collection include material relating to the physics curriculum and to Jensen's experience at Argonne National Laboratory and the Naval Academy.
Professor Jensen gave these papers to the University Archives in the summer and fall of 1998. The notes that he made about various parts of his papers are included in the appropriate folders.
- Principles of Physics (88:52)-notes & materials
- Physics and the Environment (88:010)-notes & materials, 1976-1978
- Conceptual Physics (88:011)-notes & materials, 1988-1989; laboratory manual
- General Physics I-materials
General Physics I-materials
General Physics II-notes and problems
- General Physics II-materials
- Intermediate Physics (88:130)-materials, 1960
- Atomic Physics (88:264)-materials
- Energy-Sources, Conservation and Conversion (88:159g)-materials, 1977
- Courses related to the environment, 1971-1974
- Studies in Environmental Problems-materials
- Thermodynamics-incomplete materials
- Sounds and Vibrations (88:159g)-notes, plans
Physical Sciences (82:020)-materials
Capstone: Environment, Technology and Society-1985, 1989; development, 1984-1990
- Capstone: Environment, Technology and Society-development, 1990-1992; tables of contents from journals, 1990, 1992-1993
- Extension Work: Speeches, workshop activity, correspondence
- Extension Division-notes, correspondence, and materials from Jensen as consultant to public schools, 1958
- Naval Academy Physics Demonstration Workshop, 1973
- Argonne National Laboratory Experience, Spring 1965
- Physics staff study, 1967
- Scoreboard for multiple choice tests, 1989-1990
- Summer Science Institute, 1959
- Report of Planning and Involvement of Physics Department in CNS Crossroads Science Exhibit, February 3-9, 1971
- Correspondence relating to acquisition of spectrometer from Dow Corning, 1966
- Publications and correspondence
- General Education: Current Ideas and Concerns, edited by James G. Rice, 1964
- Liberal Education, spring 1985
- The Reforming of General Education: The Columbia College Experience in its National Setting, Daniel Bell, 1966
- General Education Study Committee, Notebook 1 & Notebook 2
General Education Study Committee, Notebook 3
General Education Revision: 1973-1978; Senate and faculty minutes, 1974-1978
General Education Revision, Cassette tapes of interviews:
Folder 1: Daryl Pendergraft, January 8, 1974; Russell TePaske, January 8, 1974; Joe Fox, February 1, 1974; Dr. Martin, February 29, 1974
Folder 2: New General Education, March 6, 1974; General Education Retreat at American Martyr's Retreat House, December 17, 1974; Wiley Anderson, January 20, 1975; Meeting with Crownfield, Eiklor, McCollum, November 5, 1975; Routh and Jewell, undated.
General Education Revision: Retreat, December 17, 1974; Senate meeting, April 1976 (includes proposals); "Student Handbooks for Pilot Program," 1976-1977; Pilot program--Environment, Technology and the Future; Personality; Biosphere; Modern Civilization, Art, and Ideas; Cultural Traditions of Afro-Asian World; Western Civilization; Cosmos.
General Education Revision (cont'd): Pilot Program: Society; Student evaluation of pilot program; Hearings-Implementation and Selectives, survey results; Hearings-December 22, 1976 (folders 1-5).
Writing Across the Curriculum: Presentation at Morningside, 1985; Meeting in Iowa City; Student Journals; 1979-1984; 1985-1987, undated.
- Lesson plans
- Laboratory manuals
- Acoustics and Optics (88:161g)-materials
- Astronomy: 87:101 materials; Transparencies; Teaching aids; Lesson plans; Examinations; Miscellaneous.
- Meteorology: Tests and notes; 87:180g.
Solid State Physics-materials
General Education Revision-notebook 1, materials
Material processed and finding aid prepared by Gerald L. Peterson and Susan Basye, September and October 1998.