Rod Library--Special Collections
Women's Studies Program Files
Archives Record Series: 03/10/03
Women's Studies Program. Files (1971-1998). 2.5 linear feet.
The Women's Studies Program files were given to Special Collections in January 1999 by Director Victoria De Francisco. The files contain materials in paper format, as well as videocassettes and audio cassettes.
Three important segments are found in Boxes 1 and 3. A history of the Women's Studies Program is found in Box 1. The folder includes correspondence and newspaper clippings dealing with the growth of the program. Also in Box 1 are the Program's annual reports from 1980 through 1998. Annual reports from 1981 through 1998 are found in the folders labeled as such. The annual report for 1980-81 is found in the folder labeled "Background Information on Women's Studies Program." Box 3 contains a scrapbook of newsclippings and other documents relating to the first "Take Back the Night" on October 29, 1980, and other Women's Studies Program news through about 1981.
- Women's Studies 20th Anniversary (1995 but celebrated in 1996)
- Annual Report and Miscellaneous, 1981-1987, 1989-1993, 1994-1998
- Women's Studies Curriculum, 1971-1978
- Glenda Riley's Activities as Director, 1985-1986
- Background Information on Women's Studies Program, 1980-1981
- Publicity for Women's Studies Minor, 1973
- Women's Studies Advisory Board Origins, 1976-1978
- Women's Resource Center (History, etc), 1973-1978
- Women's Studies History
- Women's Studies Growth on National Level
- Priorities, Rationales and Goals of Women's Studies Programs at Ohio State University and University of Maryland, 1970s
- Academic Program Review Reports of Women's Studies, 1996-1998
- Student Abstracts Collection, Early, A-N
- Student Abstracts Collection, Early, O-Z
- Students Papers from Introduction to Women's Studies, 1977
- Women's Studies Scrapbook, October 1980-October 1981
Women's Studies Videos
Spencer, Dale - UNI author, scholar on language, gender and conversation, guest lecture, 65 min., 1991.
Women's Studies and Your Career - taped interview with students and faculty at UNI, advantages of taking Women's Studies courses, external values of Women Studies minors in the workplace, 45 min., April, 1991.
Anti-Discrimination Law: Legal Rights and Remedies for Gays and Lesbians by Pat Cain/Jean Lore - questions directed to the audience, issues of anti-discrimination policies, theories about equality and privacy, UNI, about 2 hour, February 17, 1992.
Beyond Our Doorstep: Women's Role in the National, International and Global Community by Stephanie Clohesy - (Women's Studies 20th Anniversary celebration) Stephanie has been an independent consultant for national and international women's organizations for 20 years. She shares experiences and observations from her international work in building a global community. 1 1/2 hours, 1996.
Community Shapers: Retired Women Making an Impact - facilitated by Jan Abel, (Women's Studies 20th Anniversary celebration) A round-table discussion with prominent retired women in the Cedar Valley. This is an important event especially for girls and women to dialogue across generations, meet role models, address what inspires and propels leadership, and encourage the development of future community leaders. 1 hour.
Women's Studies 20th Anniversary, (1995), celebrated in the Spring of 1996.
Community Commitment to UN Platform on Women - Part 1, Lynn Cutler/special guest from Washington D.C.; carry out the work that went on at the Beijing China Conference, 1996; there were 12 areas of concern - 3 topics that families face, educating on gay, lesbians, and bi-sexuals. 105 min.
Community Commitment to UN Platform on Women - Part 2, action statements about child care needs and fair wages to child care providers, 45 min., 1996.
Fall 96 Women Studies Graduate Program - Panel, narrated by Dr. Martha Reineke; graduate students are telling why they chose the Women's Studies program and how they made the decision to go to graduate school. 40 min.
UN Women's Conference; One Year Later - Fall 1996 teleconference - proceeding from UN Conference Women in Beijing; progress that has been made after the conference - the areas of concern: health, human rights, economics status, education. 2 hrs, Sept. 28, 1996.
Council of Europe Conference, Austria Report - UNI students and Dr. Victoria DeFrancisco, December 8, 1997.
Women's Studies Videos, Continued
Manhood in America - Michael Kimmel, 1 1/2 hours, March 26, 1998.
Charlotte Bunch public lecture on: Women's Rights: Universality Visibility and Future of Human Rights, May 1,1998.
Faye Ginsburg, Anthropology, guest lecturer at UNI from New York University - Regarding the abortion issue - she lived in Fargo, N.D. for many years and interviewed 35 women (and some men) on the issue of abortion. 1 hr. 20 min.
Women's Studies Audio Cassettes (19)
- Political Correctness - December 4, 1991, 2 cassettes
- Sheri Herstein: Witches in Renaissance England - December 9, 1991
- AAUW - Women's Studies Program - Spring, 1995
- Student Focus Group Discussion: Assessing the Women's Studies Program, 2 cassettes, 1995
- Women's Studies Strategic Meeting III - March 22, 1996
- Faculty Focus Group discussion - April 5, 1996
CROW Forum Cassettes:
- CROW Forum - Joe Wells: Racism, Sexism and Homophobia in University Students - September 10, 1990
- CROW Forum - Images of 'Mother' and Illness in Rural Ucatan - October 8, 1990
- CROW Forum - Jean Kimball: the Perilous Image of Women - Jung's Anima in Joyces' Ulysses November 6, 1990
- CROW Forum - Connie Scarborough: Privileges, Property, and Power: Women in 13th Century Castile - Leon - February 6, 1991
- CROW Forum - Michael Klassen: Gender Display in the Ads of MS, Playboy, and Newsweek - March 6, 1991
- CROW Forum - Beverly Byers Pevitts: The Princess Got Old and The Frog Croaked - April 8, 1991
- CROW Forum - Katherine van Wormer: Co-Dependency From a Feminist Point of View - September 9, 1991
- CROW Forum - Carmen Montecinos: Inward A Multicultural Women's Studies Curriculum - October 14, 1991
- CROW Forum - Grace Ann Hovet: Tableaux Vivants - February 3, 1992
- CROW Forum - Katherine Mansfield and Mary Rohrberger - April 6, 1992
- CROW Forum - Penny O'Conner and Victoria DeFrancisco: Can This Relationship Be Saved? Spring 1995
Material processed and finding aid marked up by Susan Basye, January 1999.