Rod Library--Special Collections
Daryl Pendergraft was born in 1907 in Clarinda, Iowa. He received his B.A. degree from Buena Vista College, and his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in history from the University of Iowa.
His career in education started in public schools in Adair, Griswold, and Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he both taught and coached. He then taught at the University of Kansas and Iowa State University before coming to UNI. He served in the Navy from 1934 to 1946.
From 1946 until he died in 1975, he held several different positions at UNI. He was a professor of history, Coordinator of Curriculum, Assistant Dean of the Faculty, Director of Field Services and Extension, Assistant to the President and Executive Dean, Acting President, and Vice President for Student Affairs and Field Services. In 1971 he returned to teaching full-time.
Pendergraft co-wrote (with William Lang) the second volume of the UNI history, "A Century of Leadership and Service."
TO: All Faculty and Staff Members
FROM: Robert E. Morin, Dean, College of Business & Behavioral Sciences
DATE: September 22, 1975
Dr. Daryl Pendergraft, emeritus professor of history and former acting president and vice president, died Sunday, September 21, 1975, at Sartori Hospital, after a brief illness. Death was attributed to a coronary occlusion.
Dr. Pendergraft was born at Clarinda, Iowa, on July 21, 1907. He attended the Clarinda public schools and Clarinda Junior College, after which he earned the B. A. degree in 1928 at Buena Vista College. In 1936 he received the M. A. degree and in 1943 the Ph. D. degree, both at the University of Iowa. His major was American history. He married Ramona A. Shipley in Adair on June 28, 1933.
In 1928 he began a fifteen year career of teaching in the public schools of Adair, Griswold, and Cedar Rapids. He also taught at Iowa State University and the University of Kansas before joining the University of Northern Iowa faculty in 1946. From 1944 through 1946 he served as a Lieutenant in the United States Navy and taught in its officer training division. His dedication to excellent teaching throughout the years earned him great respect from his students and colleagues who honored him with the Distinguished Teacher Award given last May by the College of Business and Behavioral Sciences. From 1950 through 1971, Dr. Pendergraft served in a number of administrative positions, including Curriculum Coordinator, Director of Field Services, Assistant to the President, Executive Dean, Vice President for Student Affairs and Field Services, and Acting President. Throughout this period he continued to teach the History of the West and other courses.
He continued an active interest in research and writing, contributing various articles in his major field as well as on teacher education and other facets of higher education. Until quite recently he served as a consultant-examiner for the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. He served on numerous committees at UNI and was particularly interested in curriculum revision. With Dr. William C. Lang, he was completing the history of the University of Northern Iowa for the bicentennial celebration. The Board of Regents in 1970 recognized Dr. Pendergraft as one of the major architects in transforming UNI from a teachers college to a university.
Dr. Pendergraft was active in a number of community functions and was a charter member of the Cedar Falls Kiwanis Club, which he also served as president. He was also affiliated with several history organizations, honorary societies, and other educational groups on the state, regional, and national level, including the American Association of University Professors, Phi Delta Kappa, and the National Education Association.
Dr. Pendergraft is survived by his wife Ramona; two daughters, Mrs. Marcia Rogers and Mrs. Mary (Dale) Olson; three grandchildren, Ann and Scott Rogers, and Geofry Olson, all of Cedar Falls; a sister, Mrs. O. D . Litsch of Utica, Michigan, and a brother Ralph of New Market, Iowa.
Compiled by Susan Witthoft; edited by Gerald L. Peterson
Special Collections and University Archives