Rod Library--Special Collections
Inez Eleanor Radell
Graveside services for Inez Eleanor Radell, 88, of Friendship Village, Waterloo, are pending at Fairview Cemetery. She died at 6:55 p.m. Saturday at Schoitz Hospital. Her body was cremated.
She was born March 30, 1893, in Arcadia, Wisconsin, the daughter of J. C. and Sarah C. Richtman Radell. The family moved to Cedar Falls in 1893.
She earned her B. A. from the Iowa State Teachers College (University of Northern Iowa) in 1916 and her M. A. from Teachers College; Columbia University, New York, in 1929, both in home economics.
She taught home economics and history in Iowa high schools in Williamsburg, Nashua, and Cedar Falls for several years, and at Iowa State Teachers College. She worked at the Radell Sisters Tea Room in New York City for two years before entering graduate school.
From 1929 to 1938, she was the food service supervisor of the Savarin's cafeteria in New York City. She then taught home economics and food service at the College of St. Elizabeth in Morristown, New Jersey, and at New York University, New York City, until her retirement in 1963.
After living in New York City for more than 40 years, she returned to Black Hawk County and lived with her sister, Dr. Neva Henrietta Radell, at Friendship Village.
Miss Radell was a member of the American Home Economics Association (AHEA) since 1926, and had established a permanent fellowship to be awarded to a graduate student in home economics, with an emphasis in clothing for the aging and disabled.
She and her sister were Ellen H. Richards Fellows of the AHEA Foundation in 1979, for a joint gift to the foundation, which established the Fund Development Office of the organization. She was a Master Builder in the Ice House Fund Drive of the Cedar Falls Historical Society, one of the first to make a major contribution to the project. Along with her sister, she initiated the improvement to the Cedar Falls Woman's Club house in 1971-1973, as a memorial to their parents.
Both sisters also were contributors to the new Cedar Falls Chamber of Commerce building, for both buildings and grounds, in honor of their parents. Their father operated a hardware store on Main Street for 37 years.
Miss Radell and her sister have been contributors to the University of Northern Iowa. The southeast entrance to the UNI-Dome is named the Radell Sisters Entrance to honor their $150,000 gift to the UNI Foundation.
She was a member of the President's Club of the UNI Foundation, in recognition of her contributions, and received a 50-year medal from UNI in 1967 and an Alumni Service Award in 1972. She is survived by her sister.
Dahl -VanHove-Schoof Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Copyright Cedar Falls Record.