Rod Library--Special Collections
Recent Acquisitions and Additions to the Rod Library Special Collections and University Archives Division
This page will be updated occasionally to reflect recent and special acquisitions.
In February 2013, Drs. Hart M. and Anne K. Nelsen donated two extraordinary books to Rod Library Special Collections.
- A first edition of Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Charles L. Webster and Company, Chicago, 1885. The book includes 174 illustrations.
- A first Viking edition of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, Viking Press, 1958. In dust jacket.
Dr. Hart Nelsen is an alumnus of the University of Northern Iowa, Classes of 1959 and 1963.
In July 2013, Marlys Kay Messingham donated her class notes from her undergraduate years at the University of Northern Iowa, 1964-1968, and her graduate study, fall 1978. Ms. Messingham majored in history in preparation for a social studies teaching degree. The notes are meticulous and extensive; they are frequently accompanied by course outlines, class handouts, and examinations. They offer an excellent way in which course were taught by master teachers such as John Eiklor, Leland Sage, Thomas Ryan, Basheer Nijim, and Erma Plaehn.
In August 2013, Special Collections acquired a large collection of material relating to American railroads. This material, the Robert W. Cox Railroad Collection, includes books, videos, correspondence, and memorabilia. It offers a broad look at railroads in the United States, with a special depth in material relating to railroads in the American Northeast. Special Collections staff completed the processing of this collection in September 2013.
In August 2013, Special Collections acquired a collection of material relating to May E. Francis. Miss Francis, who was inducted into the Iowa Women's Hall of Fame in 2003, was an alumna of the University of Northern Iowa and a State Superintendent of Public Instruction. She was the first woman elected to a statewide office in Iowa. Most of this collection relates to a history of Texas that she was writing.
In November and December 2013, the Special Collections staff scanned and interpreted Glimpses of Iowa's State Normal School and Its Home . . Cedar Falls. This is a photo album published by William L. Veatch, a prolific photographer of the Normal School (now the University of Northern Iowa) and Cedar Falls, Iowa. The original print copy is in the University of Northern Iowa Archives.
In June 2014, the Special Collections staff put together an illustrated Web essay on distinguished alumna Lenore Shanewise. Miss Shanewise taught at this school and then went on to become an influential drama coach in Hollywood.
In the spring semester of 2014, Dean Chris Cox generously made special funds available to strengthen the historical collection of books related to the settlement of Iowa. Included among those books are:
- John S. Collins. Across the plains in '64. Omaha, Nebraska. 1904. (F 594 C71 1904)
- S. W. McMaster. 60 years on the upper Mississippi. Rock Island, Illinois, 1893. (F 597 M16 1893)
- William Smedley. Across the plains in '62. Denver, Colorado, 1916. (F 594 S66 1916)
- Medoren Crawford. Journal. Eugene, Oregon, 1897. (F 871 S72 1897)
- Marx D. Hauberg. Memoirs. Hillsdale, Illinois, 1923?. (CT 275 H445A3 1923)
- Benjamin Brown. Testimonies for the truth. Liverpool, 1853.
- W. Thornton Parker. Personal experiences among our North American Indians from 1867 to 1885. Northampton, Massachusetts, 1913. (E 78 W5P25 1913)
- Alfred James Mokler. Transition of the West. Chicago, 1927. (F 591 M72 1927)
- Emory Fiske Skinner. Reminiscences. Chicago, 1908. (CT 275 S5222A3 1908)
All of these books are available for use in Special Collections.
In July 2014, the Special Collections staff completed a Web essay on the Kaltenbach family of Waterloo, Iowa. The essay focused on the four children who attended the Iowa State Teachers College (now UNI) during the 1920s, and especially on Fred Kaltenbach, who served as a German propagandist during World War II.
In September 2014, the Special Collections scanned a series of aerial photos of the initial stages of the reconstruction of the UNI-Dome roof in 1998.
Page opened May 9, 2013; last updated, September 26, 2014 (GP).