Rod Library--Special Collections

UNI Facilities Names

This is an attempt to list all extant and officially named buildings, parts of buildings, and spaces on the campus of the University of Northern Iowa.  Information for this list came primarily from campus publications as well as files of the Advisory Committee on the Naming of University Facilities. 

It is unlikely that a list like this can ever be complete.  Consequently, additions and corrections are always welcome.

For the names of houses within residence halls, click here.

Gerald L. Peterson, University Archivist


 Adland Inspiriation Hallway (hallway, lower level in McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2006 for Edward R. Adland, who apparently had no affiliation with UNI, but who left $400,000 for the McLeod Center project in his will.

Alumni Hospitality Suite (mezzanine level in McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2004 to recognize Alumni Association fundraising work for the McLeod Center.

Alumni House

  • initially a residence for the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds; then the Home Management House; now an office building;
  • latest of functional names applied to building that has housed several institutional offices in its history back to 1906.

Baker Hall

  • initially a residence hall, now an office building;
  • named in 1935 for George Titus Baker, a member of the Board of Education (now Board of Regents), 1909-1940;
  • Baker Hall includes Fox Seminar Room and Thompson Commons.

Barrett Wing (addition to Russell Hall)

  • classrooms and studios;
  • named in 2008 for local philanthropist Pauline R. Barrett, who donated $500,000 for the project.

Bartlett Hall

  • initially solely a residence hall, now a residence hall and office building;
  • named in 1915 for Moses Willard Bartlett, a member of the school's original faculty in 1876, who continued on the faculty until his retirement in 1904.

Begeman Hall

  • classroom/laboratory/office building;
  • held functional names through most of its existence; named in 2007 for Louis Begeman, member of the science faculty, 1899-1935, and head of the department, 1908-1935.

Bender Hall (in Towers Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1967 for Paul F. Bender, a member of the faculty from 1921 through 1964; coached track, wrestling, football; served as Dean of Men, 1948-1952, and Dean of Students, 1952-1964.

Bengtson Auditorium (in Russell Hall)

  • auditorium in classroom/office building;
  • named in 2008 for alumnus Bruce Bengtson and his wife Ruth Anne Bengtson in recognition of a donation of $500,000.

Bertch Family Hall of Fame Corridor (in Russell Hall)

  • part of classroom/office building;
  • named in 2008 for Gary and Rebecca Bertch, who donated $50,000 for a project to honor School of Music alumni.

Biology Research Complex

  • office/laboratory building;
  • functional name used shortly after its completion in 1973.

Blanford Computer Center (originally in Seerley Hall, now in the Curris Business Building)

  • computer laboratory;
  • named in about 1984 for James T. Blanford, member of the business faculty, 1946-1979.

Botanical Center

  • laboratory/classroom/display building;
  • functional name; known for most of its existence as the Greenhouse, then for a brief time as the Biology Botanical Center; current name officially applied in 2006;
  • Botanical Center includes Camarata Classroom.

Business and Community Services Building

  • office building;
  • functional name used since its completion in 2007.

Butzier Auditorium: (in Price Laboratory School)

  • entertainment facility;
  • named in 1986 for Kenneth G. Butzier, who taught at the Price Laboratory School, 1960-1986.

Camarata Classroom (Botanical Center)

  • classroom;
  • named in 2004 for Ronald Camarata, member of the Greenhouse staff, 1968-2004.

Campanile

  • iconic bell tower;
  • functional name used at least as early as 1914, twelve years before its completion in 1926.

Campbell Hall

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1952 for Sadie B. Campbell, who served as Dean of Women, 1929-1952.

Carver Classroom (in McCollum Science Hall)

  • first floor lecture and classroom;
  • named in 2003 for Roy J. Carver; the Carver Trust has been a long-time benefactor of UNI, its donations have included $1,000,000 for scientific equipment in 2000.

Center for Energy and Environmental Education

  • classroom/office building;
  • functional name applied as early as 1990, four years before its dedication.

Central Hall Ballroom (main level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 in honor of the first building on the UNI campus, originally known as the Orphans' Home, then known as Central Hall; destroyed by fire in 1965.

College Courts

  • student housing duplexes;
  • functional, descriptive name applied shortly after completion of first phase in 1956; razed in 2011.

College Eye Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 for former title of student newspaper, the College Eye.

Commons

  • originally the student union and dining center; now office building;
  • functional name applied before its completion in 1933;
  • Commons includes Georgian Lounge.

Communication Arts Center

  • classroom/office building;
  • functional name applied at least as early as its dedication in 1978.

Crawford/Thrall Hall of Excellence (in Wellness/Recreation Center)

  • named in 2003 for Elinor Crawford, member of the physical education faculty, 1949-1979, and William Thrall, member of the physical education faculty, 1960-1992; both served as long-time heads of their departments.

Curris Business Building

  • classroom/office building;
  • named in 1998 for Constantine William Curris, President of UNI, 1983-1995;
  • includes Blanford Computer Center, Keefe Pavilion, Deere Auditorium.

Dancer Hall (in Towers Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1967 for David A. Dancer, Executive Secretary of the Board of Education and (after 1955) the Board of Regents, 1942-1967.

Davis Center for Healthy Youth (in Jacobson Human Performance Complex)

  • named in 2007 for T. Wayne Davis and Adel Whitenack Davis, long time supporters of and contributors to UNI.

Davis Entrance (one of four main entrances to UNI-Dome)

  • named in 1976 for T. Wayne Davis, after donation of $100,000 to Dome fund

Davis Recital Hall (in Gallagher/Bluedorn Performing Arts Center)

  • recital/rehearsal hall;
  • named in 1999 for T. Wayne Davis and Adel Whitenack Davis, long time supporters of and contributors to UNI.

Deere Auditorium (in Curris Business Building)

  • auditorium;
  • named in 1998 to recognize donation of $250,000 by Deere & Company.

Eiklor Hall (in ROTH Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1995 for John Eiklor, beloved member of the history faculty, 1963-1992.

Elm Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 for majestic American elm that once stood on the site on which the Union was constructed.

Erusha Football Locker Room (in Jacobson Human Performance Complex)

  • athletics facility;
  • named in 2007 for Don Erusha, member of the physical education faculty, 1963-2000, and football coach.

Follon Student Services Center (in Gilchrist Hall)

  • administrative area on second level of Gilchrist Hall;
  • named in 2004 for Sue E. Follon, Vice President for Educational and Student Services,1985-1998.

Fox Seminar Room (in Baker Hall)

  • classroom;
  • named in 1986 for Josef W. Fox, member of the English and later the Philosophy and Religion faculty, 1947-1979; well-known professor of humanities.

Gallagher/Bluedorn Performing Arts Center

  • entertainment and music studio building;
  • named by the time of its groundbreaking in 1997 for Edward (Jr.) and Cathy Gallagher and Carl and Peggy Bluedorn; each couple gave at least $1 million to the project;
  • Center includes Davis Recital Hall and Jebe Hall.

Gallagher Terrace (or Mezzanine) (mezzanine level in McLeod Center)

  • named for Edward, Jr., and Cathy Gallagher, long-time supporters of UNI, to acknowledge donation of $750,000.

Georgian Lounge (in Commons)

  • descriptive name applied at the time of construction in 1933.

Gilchrist Hall

  • office building;
  • initially known as the (New) Administration Building;
  • named in 1975 for James Cleland Gilchrist, first Principal of the school, 1876-1886;
  • incudes Follon Student Services Center.

Graham Chamber Music Hall (in Russell Hall)

  • performance area in classroom/office building;
  • named in 2008 for Jack Graham, member of the School of Music faculty, 1967-2004; naming recommended by alumna Gayle Johns Rose, who made a donation of $200,000 for the project.

Hagemann Hall (in Regents Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1965 for Henry H. Hagemann, president of the Board of Regents, 1957-1963.

Harman Entrance (northwest entrance to McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named for alumna Donna and Eldred Harman in recognition of a donation of $500,000.

 Henry Competitive Swimming and Diving Pool (in Wellness/Recreation Center)

  • named for Glen F. Henry in recognition of his long and faithful devotion to the swimming and diving program at the University of Northern Iowa.

Hemisphere Lounge (main level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • descriptive name applied at about the time of construction in in 1969.

Hibbs Memorial (plaza east of West Gymnasium)

  • plaza with flagpole;
  • named in 2000 to honor alumnus Lt. Robert J. Hibbs, Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

Hillside Courts

  • student housing apartments;
  • functional, descriptive name applied at the time of its construction in 1972.

Hinson Lobby (in Russell Hall)

  • in classroom/office building;
  • named in 2008 for William and Charlotte Hinson, on the recommendation of their children, alumnus Richard Hinson and his sister Carol Hinson Driver, who made a donation of $250,000, in memory of their parents.

Holmes Hall (in ROTH Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1995 for Mavis L. Holmes, Associate Dean of Students, 1958-1971, and Dean of Students, 1971-1973.

Honors Cottage

  • office building;
  • has gone through many names and functions; built in 1890 as a residence and known as the President's Cottage; after the President's House was completed in 1911, the building became the College Hospital; from 1924-1926 it was a laboratory house for Home Economics; from 1926-1928 it was an early childhood education center; from 1928 until 1932 it was the home for President Emeritus Seerley and his wife Clara, and following his death in 1932 it was Mrs. Seerley's home until her death in 1934; from 1935 until 1970 it was the home of the Dean of the Faculty (analgous to our current office of Provost); from 1971-2004 it was the home of the Ethnic Minorities Cultural and Education Center; since that time it has been the home of the Honors Program.

Howard Seminar Room (in Seerley Hall)

  • classroom;
  • named in 1994 for Donald F. Howard, member of the history faculty,1947-1977, who also served in administrative positions including department head and dean; furnishing of room made possible by donation of Professor Howard's widow.

Industrial Technology Center

  • classroom and office building; functional name applied during or shortly after construction
  • includes Reed Auditorium and Wagner Resource Center.

Innovative Teaching and Technology Center

  • initially a gymnasium known as the Gymnasium and as the East Gymnasium; renovated into a classroom/office building;
  • current functional name applied as early as 2004, two years before it was re-dedicated.

Jacobson Human Performance Complex

  • classroom/laboratory/office building;
  • named in 2007 for Richard O. Jacobson, a major contributor to the project;
  • includes Davis Center for Healthy Youth and Erusha Football Locker Room.

Jebe Hall (in Gallagher/Bluedorn Performing Arts Center)

  • organ recital/choral rehearsal hall;
  • named in 1999 for alumna Noma Rupprich Jebe and her husband Emil Jebe, who donated $300,000 to the project.

Kamerick Art Building

  • classroom/office/gallery building;
  • named in about 1987 for John J. Kamerick, President of UNI, 1970-1983.

Keefe Pavilion (in Curris Business Building)

  • part of classroom/office building;
  • named in 1999 in honor of Leonard J. Keefe, member of the marketing faculty, 1949-1952; 1956-1978, who also served as department head.

Keyhole Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 to commemorate the former Keyhole Lounge, originally a space in the union devoted to ethnic minority cultural interests.

Kothari Concourse (upper floor of two story connector between McLeod Center and UNI-Dome)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2004 for Dr. Jitu Kothari, a surgeon associated with the athletics program, 1981-2003, for a donation from his family of $500,000.

Krause Pavilion (lower floor of two-story connector between McLeod Center and UNI-Dome)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2004 for W. A. Krause, of the Krause-Gentle Corporation, for a donation of $500,000.

Lancaster Concourse (east concourse in McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named for alumni Jon and Sarah Lancaster for a donation of $500,000.

Lang Hall

  • classroom/office building;
  • named in 1994 for William C. Lang, beloved member of the history faculty and administrator, 1949-1978.

Lantz Auditoirum (in McCollum Science Hall)

  • lecture room/auditorium;
  • named in 1976 for Cyrus W. Lantz, member of the science faculty, 1921-1957.

Latham Hall

  • classroom/office building;
  • named in 1980 for Orval Ray Latham, President of UNI, 1928-1940.

Latta Entrance (one of four main entrances to UNI-Dome)

  • named in 1975 for John S. Latta, Sr., after donation of $100,000 to Dome fund.

Lawther Hall

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1940 for Anna Bell Lawther, first woman appointed to the Board of Education (later the Board of Regents), 1921-1941.

McBride Concourse (west concourse in McLeod Center)

  • athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2006 for alumnus J. Michael McBride and his wife Virginia McBride to recognize a donation of $500,000.

McCollum Science Hall

  • classroom/laboratory/office building;
  • named in 1984 for Clifford G. McCollum, faculty member, 1949-1984, head of the Department of Science, 1957-1968, Dean of the College of Natural Sciences, 1968-1984;
  • McCollum Science Hall includes Lantz Auditiorum, Carver Classroom, Whitson Water Wall.

Robert J. McCoy Court (playing floor in McLeod Center)

  • athletics facility
  • named in 2006 to honor donation of the family of Robert J. McCoy, former Waterloo Courier publisher

McDonald Entrance (one of four main entrances to UNI-Dome)

  • named in 1974 for C. B. McDonald, after donation of $100,000 to Dome fund.

McElroy Hall (on Allen College of Nursing campus)

  • classroom/office building;
  • named in 2000 for local media executive R. J. McElroy to recognize a donation of $1,000,000 by R. J. McElroy Trust.

McElroy Lobby (in Gallagher/Bluedorn Performing Arts Center)

  • named in 2000 for R. J. McElroy, a local media executive.

McElroy Plaza (south entrance plaza outside McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named to acknowledge donation of $1,000,000 from R. J. McElroy Trust.

McGovern Hall (in ROTH Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1995 for Anna McGovern, beloved member of the education faculty, 1880-1920.

McLeod Center

  • athletics/entertainment center;
  • named by 2000, six years before the facility opened, for Clark and Mary McLeod, who donated over $4 million to the project;
  • includes Adland Inspiration Hallway, Redfern Terrace, Gallagher Terrace (or Mezzanine), Miller Plaza, Young Family (Foundation) Concourse, University Book and Supply Portal, Peters Construction Corporation Suite Concourse, Harman Entrance.

Maucker Union

  • student union;
  • named in 1974 for James William Maucker, President of UNI, 1950-1970
  • includes Meditation Room, Hemisphere Lounge, Central Hall Ballroom, State College Room, Presidential Room, Keyhole Room, Purple Pen Room, Old Gold Room, Elm Room, College Eye Room, University Room North, University Room South, and State College Room.

Meditation Room (main level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • functional name applied at about the time of construction in 1969.

Megivern Historic Costume Collection (part of Museums and Collections)

  • collection of historic costumes;
  • named in 2004 in honor of Josephine Megivern, member of the Home Economics faculty, 1967-1987.

Mark Messersmith Track and Field Complex

  • athletics facility;
  • named Messersmith Track and Field Complex in 2003; renamed Mark Messersmith Track and Field Complex in 2006, after alumnus Mark Messersmith, who donated $250,000 to the project.

Miller Plaza (just outside McLeod Center)

  • named in 2003 in honor of Eldon Miller, men's basketball coach, 1985-1998.

Museum

  • museum displays and collections storage;
  • functional name applied to several locations since at least 1892.

Nielsen Fieldhouse (part of Price Laboratory School)

  • athletics facility;
  • named in 1988 for Ross A. Nielsen, member of the faculty, 1947-1986, and Director of the Laboratory School, 1962-1986;
  • name applied to two physical facilities: original fieldhouse burned in 1993, then rebuilt and re-dedicated in 1996.

Noehren Hall (in Regents Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1966 for Alfred W. Noehren, member of the Board of Regents, 1959-1965 and President of the Board of Regents, 1963-1965.

Old Gold Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 for title of UNI yearbook, the Old Gold..

Panther Parkway

  • road west of UNI-Dome and McLeod Center; had been named Nebraska Street;
  • renamed Panther Parkway in 2005.

Pendergraft Hall (in ROTH Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1995 for Daryl Pendergraft, member of the history faculty and administrator, 1946-1975.

Peters Construction Corporation Suite Concourse (in McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2008 for the Peters Construction Company, after alumnus Dave Peters had his construction company build the suites at his expense, with a value of about $150,000.

Physical Education Center

  • athletics/recreation building;
  • functional name applied at the time of its construction in 1971.

Power Plant

  • functional name applied to all power facilities over the years.

Presidential Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 to honor UNI leaders.

President's House

  • residence;
  • functional name applied at the time of its construction in 1911.

Price Laboratory School

  • classroom/office building;
  • named in 1959 for Malcolm Poyer Price, President of UNI, 1940-1950;
  • Price Laboratory School includes Nielsen Fieldhouse and Butzier Auditorium.

Purple Pen Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named in 2003 for the title of a UNI student literary magazine, the Purple Pen.

The Reverend Charles E. Quirk Seminar Room (Sabin Hall 207)

  • named in honor of Professor Charles E. Quirk, a member of the History faculty, 1963-2001;
  • dedicated December 5, 2001.

Radell Sisters Entrance (one of four main entrances to UNI-Dome)


Redeker Center (part of Regents Complex)

  • residence hall dining and administrative building;
  • named in 1974 for Stanley F. Redeker, president of the Board of Regents, 1965-1973.

Redfern Terrace (in McLeod Center, north mezzanine area)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2004 in honor of Leroy and Nancy Redfern, long-time supporters of UNI.

Reed Auditorium (in Industrial Technology Center)

  • classroom/auditorium;
  • named in 1975 for Howard O. Reed, head of the Department of Industrial Arts, 1954-1966, and Industrial Arts and Technology, 1966-1971.

Regents Complex

  • residence hall complex that includes Rider, Shull, Hagemann, and Noehren Halls and Redeker Center'
  • the name Regents Hall was initially applied in 1961 to just the first unit (later named Rider Hall) of the complex and then was modified, perhaps unofficially, and applied to the whole complex as it developed.

Residence on the Hill

  • residence hall complex that includes Eiklor, Pendergraft, Holmes, and McGovern units;
  • descriptive name apparently applied at the time of construction in about 1994; frequently abbreviated to the acronym ROTH.

Rhines Entrance (northeast entrance to McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2004 for alumnus Paul Rhines in recognition of a donation of $500,000.

Rider Hall (in Regents Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1964 for Dwight G. Rider, president of the Board of Education and (after 1955) the Board of Regents, 1951-1956.

Rod Library

  • library and classroom building;
  • named in 1986 for Donald Olaf Rod, Director of the Library, 1953-1986.

Russell Hall

  • classroom/office/auditorium building;
  • named in 1972 for Myron E. Russell, member of the music faculty, 1929-1972, and head of the department, 1951-1972;
  • Russelll Hall includes Barrett Wing, Bengtson Auditorium, Bertch Family Hall of Fame Corridor, Graham Chamber Music Hall, Hinson Lobby, and Schultz Recording Studio.

Sabin Hall

  • initially home to the laboratory school; now classroom/office building;
  • named in 1957 for Henry Sabin, president of the Board of Directors, 1888-1892, 1894-1898, amd a strong supporter of the Normal School.

Schindler Education Center

  • classroom/office building;
  • named in 1990 for alumnus Alvin W. Schindler, whose wife, Dora Hood Schindler, donated $1 million to the university.

Schultz Recording Studio (in Russell Hall)

  • studio in classroom/office buldling;
  • named in 2008 for alumni Richard and Kristine Schultz, who donated $120,000 for the project.

Seerley Hall

  • known by the functional name of The Library after the completion of its construction in 1912; now an office building;
  • in anticipation of the construction of the new Library, the Regents approved a name change to Seerley Hall in 1961, to honor Homer Horatio Seerley, president of UNI, 1886-1928; name actually applied in 1964, when the new Library (now Rod Library) opened.

Sheriff Field (in UNI-Dome)

  • athletics faciity;
  • named in 1993 for Stanley B. Sheriff, football coach, 1960-1982, and Director of Athletics, 1970-1983.

Shull Hall (in Regents Complex)

  • residence hall;
  • named in 1964 for Henry C. Shull, president of the Board of Education (later Board of Regents), 1940-1951.

Slife Ballroom (in Commons)

  • entertainment facility;
  • formerly known as Commons Ballroom; named in 1994 for Harry and alumna Polly Slife, who were well know for their civic leadership and philanthropy; Mr. Slife served on the Board of Regents.

State College Room (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • named at about the time of original construction in 1967 to commemorate the name of the institution from 1961-1967, the State College of Iowa.

Strayer/Wood Theatre

  • entertainment facility;
  • named in 1975, before construction began, for Hazel Strayer and Stanley G. Wood, both long-time members of the drama faculty.

Student Health Center

  • office building;
  • functional name applied shortly after its construction in 1961; sometimes abbreviated to Health Center.

Thompson Commons (in Baker Hall)

  • named ifor Thomas H. Thompson, member of the faculty, 1952-1994, also served as Dean of the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, 1981-1990.

Thomson Student Lounge (in Industrial Technology Center)

  • named in 2004 in honor of Leland Thomson, long-time member of the Campus Planning staff, 1968-1992.

Towers Center (in Towers Complex)

  • residence hall administrative and dining center;
  • descriptive name apparently applied at the time of construction.

Towers Complex

  • overall name for residence hall complex that includes Bender and Dancer Halls and Towers Center;
  • descriptive name apparently applied during the planning process.

UNI-Dome

  • athletics/entertainment facility;
  • descriptive name applied at least as early as 1973, several years before construction began;
  • includes Sheriff Field, McDonald Entrance, Latta Entrance, Davis Entrance, Radell Sisters Entrance.

University Book and Supply Portal (main entrance into McLeod Center court)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in honor of the local bookstore business, several of whose employees contributed to a donation of $500,000.

University Rooms North and South (lower level in Maucker Union)

  • part of student union;
  • subdivisions of original and larger University Hall, which commemorated university status for the institution in 1967.

Visitor Information Center

  • functional name applied by the time of construction in 1985.

Wagner Resource Center (in Industrial Technology Center)

  • library and media center in classroom/office building;
  • named in 1975 for Willis H. Wagner, faculty member in the Department of Industrial Technology, 1945-1978.

Wellness/Recreation Center

  • recreation and classroom facility;
  • functional name applied as early as 1996, during construction;
  • includes Crawford/Thrall Hall of Excellence.

West Gymnasium

  • athletics, recreation, entertainment, and classroom building;
  • functional name was initially Men's Gymnasium (1924-1977), then Gymnasium No. 1 (1977-1979), and West Gymnasium (1979-present).

Whitson Water Wall (in McCollum Science Hall)

  • display area;
  • named in 2005 for Paul Whitson, member of the biology faculty, 1972-2005.

Wright Hall

  • classroom/office building;
  • initially known by functional name, Vocational Building; named in 1957 for David Sands Wright, a member of the original faculty in 1876, who continued his service through 1928.

Young Family (Foundation) Concourse (west concourse in McLeod Center)

  • part of athletics/entertainment facility;
  • named in 2004 for Rick and Cathy Young and the Young Family Foundation for a donation of $500,000.

Compiled by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, February 2009; last updated; last updated, December 10, 2012 (GP).

 


Rod Library Special Collections and University Archives
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613-3675
Telephone: (319)-273-6307
Fax: (319)-273-2913
Email: Gerald.Peterson@uni.edu