TO: University Faculty and Staff
FROM: Robert D. Stansbury, Vice President for Administrative Services
July 26, 1976
Eldon E. Cole, former Director of the Physical Plant, died Saturday, July 24, 1976, at the Cedar Falls Lutheran Home following a stroke. Prior to his residency at the Lutheran Home, he had lived at 1211 West 18th Street, Cedar Falls.
Mr. Cole was born April 19, 1894, in Grundy Center, Iowa, and graduated from Marshalltown High School in 1913. He attended Iowa State University from 1914 to 1916, served in the Army from 1917 to 1919, and returned to Iowa State, where he received the bachelor of science in architectural engineering degree in 1921. From 1921 to 1925 he worked as an engineer, inspector, and draftsman for several Iowa firms, joining the Buildings and Grounds Department at the University of Iowa as an architect from 1925 to 1930.
He joined the staff at UNI in 1930, when he was the architect on the Heating Plant and Shops Building for the Board of Education (now State Board of Regents). He served as Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds from 1931 to 1954, and was Director of the Physical Plant Department from 1954 until his retirement in 1962.
Mr. Cole was married to Leora B. Clemens in 1919. She died in July 1941. In August l942, he married Reherda W. Groom . He is survived by his wife, three daughters, Mrs. Earl (Ruby) Beall of Rockville, Maryland, Mrs. W. S. (Doris) Ogilvy of Evansville, Indiana, and Mrs. J. C. (Jean) Hauser of Olympia, Washington, and a son, Douglas, of Sumner.
Services are scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 27, at the Dahl-Van Hove-Schoof Funeral Home, with burial in Fairview Cemetery. The family suggests that memorials may be given to the Heart Fund.
The flag will be flown at half-mast during the time of the funeral service in memory of Mr. Cole.