down arrowMenu

Rod Library logo

Today's Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight    More hours
Questions? Call Library Services at (319) 273-2838

Myron E. Russell

Myron E. Russell


UNI's music building was named for Myron E. Russell who joined the faculty in 1929 as a band conductor and music instructor. Russell was head of the Department of Music from 1951 until 1972. He retired in 1973.

Russell was born in 1904 at Stafford, Kansas. In 1927 he received a Bachelor of Music degree from Kansas State University. In addition, he earned a Master of Music degree at the University of Rochester in 1932 and Ph.D. in music from the University of Michigan in 1953.

Before coming to UNI in 1929, Russell taught music at the University of Kansas and participated in several bands and orchestras. He was a founding member of the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Symphony Orchestra and its conductor from 1958-1971. He died on July 13, 1993, at the age of 88.

Compiled by Susan Witthoft; edited by Gerald L. Peterson
Special Collections and University Archives
January 1996


Rod Library Special Collections and University Archives 
University of Northern Iowa 
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613-3675 
Telephone: (319)-273-7295
Fax: (319)-273-2913 
Email: libarchives@uni.edu

 

Ask Us!
Hours
Catalog
Site Search
Events
Directions
Contact
Floor Maps
Spaces
Scheduler
Services
Staff List
Collections
Blog
Research
About Us
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube

Rod Library

1227 W 27th Street
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614
(319) 273-2838  | askus@uni.edu

Google Map