Rod Library--Special Collections

Education Department Names

Descriptive Overview

When the Iowa State Normal School was founded in 1876, teacher education was the sole purpose of the institution. This single purpose persisted through the name change in 1909 to the Iowa State Teachers College and on down to 1961, when the school became the State College of Iowa. At that time the school began to offer degrees that led to careers outside the field of education. Until 1961, one could argue that all courses offered at the school were education-related courses, since all courses were oriented toward the preparation of teachers.

However, even in the school's first catalogue in 1876, departments offering "content" courses (Art, English Literature, History, Mathematics, and Science) were differentiated from departments offering instruction in teaching techniques, the Didactics and Practice Department and the Professional Science Department. This latter department was replaced by the Professional Studies Department in 1877, which persisted until 1882, when it was replaced by the Pedagogics Department. The Didactics and Practice Department, an early home for the Model School, disappeared in 1878.

The Pedagogics Department was replaced by the Didactics Department in 1883. The Didactics Department persisted until 1892, when it became the Professional Department. The Professional Department lasted until 1907, though from 1903 through 1907 there was also a Kindergarten Department. In 1907 these departments combined to form the Professional and Training Department. In 1909 this department split into the Department of Professional Instruction in Education and the Department of Training in Teaching, essentially a home for what now is known as the Price Laboratory School. In 1913, the Professional Instruction in Education Department became simply the Education Department. And in 1914, the Training in Teaching Department became simply the Teaching Department. Also in 1914, in response to the need to prepare teachers for work in country schools, the Rural Education Department was established. The Rural Education Department existed until 1932, when its program was folded back into the Education Department. The Teaching Department exists to this day.

The Education Department name was quite stable, existing until 1957 when it became the Education and Psychology Department. This name persisted until 1968, a year after the school received university status. At that point the Psychology Department was established as an independent unit, and the university began to organize itself into colleges.

The Education Department, left behind after the departure of Psychology, lasted from 1968 through 1970, when it broke into three departments of the College of Education: Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Psychology and Foundations, and School Administration and Personnel Services. The College of Education also included the existing departments of Library Science, Physical Education for Men, and Physical Education for Women. The histories of Library Science and the Physical Education Departments are treated elsewhere.

The Curriculum and Instruction Department and the Educational Psychology and Foundations Department exist to this day. The Special Education Department was established in 1979 and still exists. The School Administration and Personnel Services Department became the Educational Administration and Counseling Department in 1983. In 2000, this unit became the Educational Leadership, Counseling, and Post-Secondary Education Department.


Chronology

1876-1877
Didactics and Practice
Professional Science

1877-1878
Didactics and Practice
Professional Studies

1878-1882
Professional Studies

1882-1883
Pedagogics

1883-1892
Didactics

1892-1903
Professional

1903-1907
Professional
Kindergarten

1907-1909
Professional and Training

1909-1913
Professional Instruction in Education
Training in Teaching

1913-1914
Education
Training in Teaching

1914-1932
Education
Rural Education
Teaching

1932-1957
Education
Teaching

1957-1968
Education and Psychology
Teaching

1968-1970
Education
Teaching

1970-1979
Curriculum and Instruction
Educational Psychology and Foundations
School Administration and Personnel Services
Teaching

1979-1983
Curriculum and Instruction
Educational Psychology and Foundations
School Administration and Personnel Services
Special Education
Teaching

1983-2000
Curriculum and Instruction
Educational Psychology and Foundations
Educational Administration and Counseling
Special Education
Teaching

2000-present
Curriculum and Instruction
Educational Psychology and Foundations
Educational Leadership, Counseling, and Post-Secondary Education
Special Education
Teaching


 Links to Other Pages about Subject Area Department Name Changes


Links to Pages about Instructional Department Names


Rod Library Special Collections and University Archives
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613-3675
Telephone: (319)-273-6307
Fax: (319)-273-2913
Email: Gerald.Peterson@uni.edu