Description of Collections
Scrapbook of pictures and memorabilia
Scrapbook of informal photographs, circa 1913
Scrapbook pages (loose) from albumn, circa 1917
Scrapbook pages of pictures and memorabilia, circa 1914
- Christmas Concert program, 1904
- "Constitution and By-Laws of the Philomathean Society," 1899
- The Globe Commencement Issue, June 12, 1902
- Philomathean Literary Society, photograph, 1901
- "Twenty-first Triangular Debate," 2 programs, 1900
- YWCA cabinet, photograph, 1902
- Newspaper clipping of new chapel dedication
- Program from the annual recital of the Elocutionary and Musical Departments of Ellsworth College
- 2 photographs
Barnes, Frances Leone Dunn
Miscellaneous dance invitations and cards from Tau Sigma Delta, Alpha Chi Epsilon, Lambda Gamma Nu, Tau Sigma, Alpha Xi Delta, and Delta Phi Delta.
Alpha Beta Gamma material including pledge letter, Homecoming invitation, song books, General Committee Member button, and dance cards for Pledge Dances, Fall Dances, Winter Dances, and Spring Formals, 1933-1934.
Tally cards for bridge games (3)
Unofficial report card, Fall Term, 1931.
Invitations and program (1933 only) for graduating class dinners, 1933 and 1934.
Commencement Program, May 1933.
Admission ticket to Commencement courtesy of Florence Triscik.
Dance cards for Christmas dances (1931, 1932), Homecoming (1932, 1933), and Senior Prom, (1933).
Open house invitation from President and Mrs. Latham to the graduating class of March,1933.
Invitations from the College Club and Cliosophic Literary Society (1931).
Program for Kindergarten Banquet - April 22, 1932.
Girls' Club Program book, 1934-1935.
Program from Mother's Day Luncheon, 1933.
Miscellaneous place cards.
Dance cards for Femme Fancy dance (1934) and Washington Ball (1932-1934).
Orchesis programs - 1932 & 1934.
Minnesingers and Cecilians Annual Concert program, 1932.
Nevada Van der Veer concert program.
Tutor Ticklers programs, 1932 & 1934.
English Department play production programs, 1931-1934.
Postcard, aerial view of Iowa State Teachers College.
I.S.T.C. Homecoming button.
Football schedule for 1931 (2).
Miscellaneous greeting cards and shower invitations (7).
Song and worship sheets (3).
Postcard packet of the Bily Clocks, Ridgeway, Iowa.
Christmas Card, 1933.
Graduation announcements, memory scrapbook, and concert, church, and play programs, Galesburg High School and Galesburg, Illinois.
Music programs, sorority invitations, Constitution of the Women's Self-Government Associaiton, report card of June 1931, tuition receipts of 1930 & 1932, and commencement program (1931) of Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois.
Barnett, E. Frances
Lecture notes from Mr. Seerley's lectures, Fall, 1899
Belshaw, Bernice Bruce
12 programs from various musical recitals and concerts from 1914
2 play programs, 1914
Program from the 21st Annual Oratorical Contest, January 22, 1914
May Day Program
Annual Demonstration of the Department of Physical Education program, March 6, 1914
Program from the Dedication of Homerian and Irving Society Hall, October 24, 1914
Black, Nell Woods
Scrapbook of pictures and memorabilia
Blumer, George Leroy
Photographs taken during his time at the Teachers College, 1933
Boone, Luke Llewellyn
Journalism Work Book by Professor G. H. Holmes
Guide to the Study of American History to 1865 by Professor Ralph R. Fahrney
Guide to the Study of American History Since 1865 by Professor Ralph R. Fahrney
Sheet of I.S.T.C. yells and fight songs
I.S.T.C. freshmen baseball numerals
Sucker's Supper program, May 17, 1938
Small University of Northern Iowa Banner
Notes on Parliamentary Law by Professor G. C. Robinson
Script to "Au Restaurant Du Lapin Blanc"
Script to "Toc, Toc Toc! Cupidon, Dentiste"
"The Class of 1939 -- B. C. (Before Computers)"
1 program (general pupils recital in the Music Department, 1905)
1 newsclipping (about the recital)
Newsclipping about Frances Bradley's role in "Carmen"
The opera "Martha", March 12, 13, 1936, program
"Carmen", March 11, 12, 1937, program
Brett, Charlotte Mae
- Nature Study Class, Fall, 1925
- Interior Decoration, Spring, 1932
- General Design, Winter, 1932-33
- Commercial Illustration, Winter, 1932-33
- Principles in Fundamentals
- Primary Illustrative
- Language the Basic Subject
- Historical Geography
Perry E. Canfield's notebook for Physiology, 1889
Letter from Lucy Canfield, 1886
Lucy Canfield's autograph album, 1883-89
Photograph, Lucy Canfield Whitney
Postmaster Certificate, 1893, New Hartford, Lee Canfield
Teacher's Certificates, Lee Canfield, 1885-88
Teaching Contracts: Lucy Canfield, Dayton Township, April 18, 1891; and Perry Canfield, Franklin Township, April 9, 1892
Perry E. Canfield's Teacher's Certificates:
- March 29, 1890 Second Class
- September 27, 1890 Second Class
- November 25, 1892 Second Class
- April 1, 1892 Second Class
- August 25, 1893 Second Class
- September 28, 1894 First Class
Examination Results, Perry E. Canfield, 1890 and 1894
How to Teach Geography, Perry E. Canfield, 1894
Letters: from Lucy to Folks, 1886; from Lee Canfield to Lucy, 1887; from Perry to Brother Cale, 1892
- Adams, Daniel. (mathematics textbook), 1842
- Baker, Margaret. School-Room Calisthenics
- Cutter, Calvin. Second Book on Analytic Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene Human and Comparative, 1871
- Goff, Milton B. A Book of Arithmetical Problems, 1877
- Greenleaf. Practical Arithmetic
- Harris, William T., Rickoff, Andrew J., Bailey, Mark. Appletons' School Readers. The Fifth Reader, 1881
- Hinman, Russell. Electic Physical Geography, 1888.
- Hughes, James L. Mistakes in Teaching, 1889.
- Jenkins, John S. The Life of John Caldwell Calhoun.
- Monteith, James. Manuel of Geography, 1861.
- Peck, William G. Introductory Course of Natural Philosophy, 1873.
- Popular Educator, 1894.
- Pratt, Mara L. American History Stories, v. I, 1890.
- Pratt, Mara L. American History Stories, v. II, 1890.
- Pratt, Mara L. American History Stories, v. III, 1890.
- Pratt, Mara L. American History Stories, v. IV, 1890.
- Reed, Alonzo and Kellogg, Brainerd. Higher Lessons in English, 1885.
- Van Waters, George. The Poetical Geography, 1863.
- Webster, Noah. Dictionary for Primary Schools, 1844.
- White, Emerson E. School Management, 1893.
- Wright, D. Sands. Teachers; Hand Book of Arithmetic, 1888.
Charlson, John E.
Invitation to President Latham's "at home" for spring 1937 graduates, May 1937
Beta Beta Beta membership certificate, January 1937
Lambda Delta Lambda membership certificate
47th Annual Spring Concert, Cecilians and Minnesingers, April 9, 1936, program
Minnesingers spring concert program, 1936
Minnesingers concert program, April 1, 1937
Minnesinger spring tour program, 1937
Conger, Agnes E.
ISTC Diploma, 1934
Copp, Clara Esther
Sigma Tau Delta Constitution, 1928
Sigma Tau Delta Certificate, 1929
Sigma Tau Delta Initiation Ceremony
The Rectangle. The official publication of Sigma Tau Delta, January, 1932; November, 1932: Autumn, 1936.
Commencement Programs, 1921, 1929
Teachers Certificate, 1939
Musical Program, 1929
Teacher of Kindergarten; Elizabeth T. Countryman; August 24, 1915; Iowa State Teachers College of Cedar Falls, Iowa (diploma)
Primary Teacher; Elizabeth T. Countryman; August 24, 1915; Iowa State Teachers College of Cedar Falls, Iowa (diploma)
Elementary Teacher; Daisy Leora Countryman; July 22, 1910; Iowa State Teachers College of Cedar Falls, Iowa (diploma)
Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Education; Daisy Leora Countryman; August 29, 1916; Iowa State Teachers College of Cedar Falls, Iowa (diploma)
Teacher of Home Economics; Daisy Leora Countryman; June 6, 1916; Iowa State Teachers College of Cedar Falls, Iowa (diploma)
Panoramic view of ISTC campus, 1915
Photo of graduation class of 1916
Letter, October 30, 1960
Doering, Helen Miller
Letter, October 2, 1995
Dyson, Helen Shields (Class of 1929)
2 CDs of pictures, receipts, and certificates of Helen Shields time at the Iowa State Teachers College created by her daughter Jacqueline Dyson..
Edgar, Lois Martha
Photo Album, 1922-1923
Notebook kept in a Shakespeare class taught by Professor Samuel Adams Lynch, probably early or mid-1930s
3 restaurant menus
Bus and Train Schedule, 1920
Fluckey, Abbie, 1898-1899
Teacher's Second Class Certificate, July 31, 1899
Letter of Reference from A.W. Rich to Whom it May Concern, June 30, 1898
Gardiner, Sybil Lincoln
Photographs of King Club boarding house and friends
Postcards of Cedar Falls scenes including Women's Gymnasium, railroad train on tracks south of Cedar River, the Illinois Central Railroad bridge over the Cedar River, and the corner of 24th and Olive Streets
1906 Commencement program
Oratorical Association photo, including Sybil Lincoln1906
Group of women, including Sybil Lincoln, photo
Alumni Association reunion program, 1960
Geise, Edith Farber
Student's Notes, 1903
Letter, October 9, 1959
Gosden, Emily, 1881
6 family photos
1881 class stone
Photocopy of 1881 commencement program
Photocopy of 1881 class song
2 teaching certificates
1936 leatherbound Commencement booklet
Expense ledger, 1930-1931
Scrapbook from June 4 - August 22, 1924 of photos and memorabilia
3 rolled panoramic photo lithographs from fall and summer 1922
Huntley, Ray S.
Gymnasium Hand Book, December 19, 1907
17 photographs (one dated 1917)
Johnson, Muriel Draper
Large scrapbook with many informal photographs, including some of the campus in about 1913
Jones, David Tracy
Military Training records, 1918-1920
Teaching contracts, 1919, 1920
Teacher's Certificates, 1919, 1920, 1922
ISTC and Military scrapbook, 1918
1939 freshman track team photograph
1940 varsity track team photograph
1940 football team photograph
1941 varsity track team photograph
1941 Iowa Teachers Relays program
Graph paper from Berg & Berg
1940 Phi Sigma Epsilon photograph
1941 Phi Sigma Epsilon photograph
Phi Sigma Epsilon newsletter
3 ISTC post cards
Knudsen, Shirley May Foster
Extensive scrapbook collection of programs, correspondence, records of social activities, and souvenirs, 1956-1958
Picture of faculty, 1903
McCann, Coyla Boyd
Student Identification card - 1949
Campanile pin from Iowa State College
Miscellaneous registration, membership, student identification, receipts, dormitory receipts, room assignments, food service, gymnasium cards.
Iowa State Teachers College evaluation of high school credits
Iowa State Teachers College check sheet for the Home Economics Department
Credit Balance Sheet
Syllabus of Organizations at Iowa State Teachers College
Student handbook - 1947-1948
Placemat from Homecoming October 31, 1953
Anna B. Lawther Hall information concerning facilities, service, and house regulations 1948-1949
Play program from 1948
Armistice Day program November 11, 1947
Religious Emphasis Week program from November 9-12, 1947
Matriculation convocation program from Friday, June 4, 1948
Invitations for commencement
Home Economics newsletters
McColm, Thelma Vincent
Letter from Hoyt Curtis, July 6, 1921
Wedding shower invitation from Mrs. A. Wagner for Mrs. Francis Wagner
Wedding invitation of Blanche Thompson and Francis Wagner, July 20, 1921
Statement of Absence, May 27, 1921 and January 23, 1922
Homecoming dance card, 1922
Receipt for tuition, March 9, 1921
Armistice Day program, November 11, 1921
Schedule card, summer term, June 1, 1921
Schedule card, fall term, September 7, 1921
Schedule card, winter term, November 30, 1921
Schedule card, spring term, March 8, 1922
Silent reading test score card
Advertisment for Minnesingers Concert
Bus schedule, Waterloo-Cedar Falls, 1921
Thorndike-McCall Reading Scale score sheet
Invitation to join the Shakespearean Society
Minnesingers concert program,
"Yokohoma Maid" program, Teachers College High School, 1921
18th Annual Music Festival program
"Trial by Jury" program, Teachers College High School, 1922
Colonial Tea Room advertisement
ISTC Graduation invitation, May 1922
Homecoming program, ISTC vs. Upper Iowa
Church class schedule, Cedar Falls churches, October 1917 - June 1918
"The Girl From Babylon" play program, American Legion, February 15-16, 1922
Playbill of "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"
Miscellaneous clippings of movies
McManus, George H.
Letters from James Alderson, Class of 1887 (4), including one envelope
Letter and envelope from Alumni Office concerning Class of 1927's 25th anniversary
Proposals of the Alumni Action Committee from December 7, 1951 and April 14, 1952 meetings
Brochure for 75th Anniversary entitled "Five Major Events Commemorating the Anniversary Year"
Letter from Alumni Office dated May 6, 1952
Program of the 69th Annual Reunion of Alumni and Faculty, June 1, 1952
"Reminiscences by a Member of the Class of 1902", Willis T. Wolfe
Handwritten listing of the member of the Class of 1887
Listing of names (possibly identifying individuals in a picture)
The Chresto Chronicle, April 11, 1908 (handwritten)
3 letters from President Seerley
College scrapbook, with receipts, photos, programs, 1932-1935
Gradebooks, teaching notes, schoolwork from Tama County, Lincoln School #4, 1935-1939
Notebook from Drawing I class
Program, eighth annual concert by Minnesingers, February 16, 1906
Obituary of M. H. Hoffman, February 5, 1931
Correspondence with H. Roger Grant
Phonograph disc--Army Air Corps, May 18, 1943
Cedar Rapids Jefferson High School staff book, 1976
Material related to Mildred Middleton's extensive professional work in the teaching of spelling
1942 Old Gold
College Symphony Orchestra Spring Festival concert program, May 13, 1943
Beta Alpha Epsilon program, 1941-1942
Photograph albums: Mildred Middleton's 90th birthday celebration, July 10, 2003; UNI Cadre Conference, April 17, 2003, Davenport, Iowa; Mildred L. Middleton Cadre Conference, April 13, 14, 2000, Cedar Falls, Iowa; undated conference album
Miller, Geraldine Schmitt
Notebook pertaining to observations made in Laboratory School c. 1936.
Mills, Lucinda Hall
Muhs Family Collection, 1893-1915
ISTC wax seal
Oleson, Florence Faulks
Scrapbook of pictures and memorabilia, 1922-1924
Portz, Helen C.
Commencement booklet, 1915.
Read, Mary Jo
1927 high school graduate of ISTC Training School
1931 ISTC graduate
- Training School graduation announcement, 1927
- "What About Bobbed Hair?" printed and distributed by a campus religious group
- Cedar Falls Woman's Club House Dedication Dinner program, September 26, 1929
- "Tutor Ticklers of 1931"
- Homecoming mementos
- ISTC Training School mementos
- Programs of plays, concerts, conventions, etc.
- T.C. high school song and yells
- Senior Class song of 1927
- Salutatory speech by Mary Read
- Training School savings band book
- 1926-7 report card
- The College Hi Light, April 23, 1926
Photo of ISTC student body (included are the Training School children located in the lower, left-hand corner), 1922
Words and music to the Iowa State Teachers College song (with pictures of campus scenes)
Member list for Faculty Dames, 1930-31 (includes organizational songs)
Play Craft programs, 1930
Concert programs, 1932&33
Theater production programs, 1932
Photos of drama productions
Membership receipt for the Iowa State Teachers Assoc., 1933
Alpha Literary Society Manual, 1929
Drama reading lists
Readings by various students with the judges; ratings
Scrapbook of college days, 1921-1923
Rigter, Marie A.
Scrapbook of college days
Robinson, Chloris Anderson, 1954-55
5 pictures with descriptions and dates
Robinson, Florence Sage Nylin
"My Memory Book" scrapbook, 1912-1915
"Beat Luther" ribbon
Tuition Fee Receipt
"Golden Memories" article in Iowa's Golden Age, March, 1994
Salyers, Ida Ruby (1915-1917)
Scrapbook, including photos of students and campus, and programs from musical recitals, concerts and other events.
Schaefer, Carmen Williams
Letter, October 2, 1995
Shaffer Sisters, Charlotte and Charleen
Cassette tape recording of two songs
Mandolin Club concert program
Pupils' recital program
Gymnasium open afternoon programs
Second annual oratorical contest program
Clio public session program
Thirteenth annual inter-state preliminary oratorical contest program
Chrestomathian public session program
May Music Festival program
Wells Fargo receipt
Sidey, Irene M.
Coupon Meal Book
2 Class Cards
Statement of Absence and Approved Absence Slip
Reading Room Slip
Simonsen, Mrs. H. G.
Notes from Griffith-Thomas Lectures on Studies in Romans
Spies, Naomi M.
Commencement Programs, 1927--with picture of Naomi M. Spies
Baccalaureate Address, "The End Crowns the Work," by President Seerley, 1927
May Day Program, 1926
14 pictures of student activities
Class cards, Sp.,1927, Fall, 1926
Receipts of tuition fee and room deposit, 1926
Copy of the Loyalty Song of I.S.T.C.
Pictures of the Cecilians and the Minnesingers, 1927
Alumni Breakfast Menu, 1927
A program for "The Dance," presented by members of Orchesis
Manual of the Alpha Literary Society
Alpha Program, 1926
Stillinger, Okley P.
"The Spirit of Fifty Years," pageant by James Hearst
Commencement program, summer 1926
Musical and church programs
The College Eye, May 19, 1926
Receipts, cards, ticket stubs
Stolze, Henry Kenneth
An informational letter sent to Gerald L. Peterson, University of Northern Iowa Archivist, April 25, 1978
Receipt of a $2.00 State Certificate Fee, March 16, 1928
Class Record used during student teaching, 1927
28 interesting pictures of various on-and -off campus activities, 1926-28
Three page paper, "Men's Rooming Houses at I.S.T.C. Fifty Years Ago"
Stone, Katherine A.
I.S.T.C. commencement announcement, August, 1943
Strawn James, c. 1903-1907
16 photos: baseball, football, boxing, track
2 postcards: smokestack, science laboratory and gymnasium
Certificate of earning athletic letter "N"
Strohbehn, Alice Lynde
Notebook on grammar, narcotics, art, gymnastics, temperance, and autographs and greetings of classmates, 1888-1890
2 pages from a scrapbook
Sucher, Richard C. (1911-1989); Sucher, Luella Grace Kroesen (1881-1978); Sucher, Harvey Ernest (1874-1957)
- Gold medal, Chicagoland Festival
- Large photo, Cedar Falls Band, 1924
- 2 newspaper clippings about Cedar Falls Band
- 1903 band photo
- Photo of Weisbard Planing Mill
50 year medal (framed)
- Photo of Luella, about college age, white collar
- Envelope telling of school days
- White ceramic ash tray or dish with photo on it
- Campus photo, 1897
- Grace Kroesen and Lulu Brown outside 250 Olive Street, 1903
- Photo of Grace Sucher in 1950
Cunard Anchor Line - Contract (framed), Orchestra members listed, 1934
Purple felt banner - ISTC + metal brackets given to Richard to display above the band (corner near photocopy machine)
- Orchestra members - students or recent graduates of ISTC (Richard finished November, 1933)
- Large folder - ISTC programs, Student Life, etc.
- Yearbooks - UNI (2); CF High (2); Wales High School (2); song book(Box 3)
- Received 3-25-93: Photo of Richard and Florence Sucher, Golden Wedding Anniversary, June 1989
- 4-h scrapbook
- High school diploma, CF High
- Sinfonia initiation paddle (returned to Richard Sucher)
- 40 year medal (framed)
- Framed photo - Campus Playboys--members' names are on Cunard contract (returned)
- Framed photo - Campus Playboy Band (returned)
- Minnesingers photo, 1931-1934
- Graduation programs, 1933 (2)
- Sinfonia Life Membership certificate
- ISTC diploma (Richard)
- Sinfonia election - charter member, 1931
- Hill Scholarship certificate, 1973
- Obituary (sentence 2 - add "businessman" + memorial card)
- Certificated from ME Church
- Troubador photo, 1930
- Phi Tau Theta national meeting, 1931
- Added 1-25-93: 2 photos of campus, 1932-33; Photo of Francis Rummell, 1932 Homecoming; Photo of Richard C. Sucher, 1932 Homecoming; Photo of Melvin Field and Richard D. Sucher, 1932 Homecoming; 2 photocopied pages from album showing exterior and interior of house at 2523 Olive Street and of Mary and Grace Kroesen
- Received 7-12-93: Photo of ISTC concert band, 1930; photo of ISTC symphony, 1934
- Silver cup - Champion Dairy Demonstration Team
- Richard Sucher and Mary Cunningham
- Cattle Congress - Waterloo 1924
- 4-H Achievement Award
- Waterloo Jr. Chamber of Commerce Plaque, about 1950
- Award entry - silver cover
- Received 7-22-93: Black wooden base for loving cup
Jebe, Florence Sucher (1912- )
Box 5 - Received September 2000
- My First Seventy Years 1912-1982
- My Life The Bonus Years 1982-1992
- Dedication Program for Jebe Recital Hall, Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center
- Photograph of Florence Jebe 1995
Box 1 Received 11-93:
Two scrapbooks (photocopied and originals returned to Florence Jebe)
Box 1 Received 12-93:
Scrapbook of 1934 trip to Europe (photocopied and original returned to Florence Jebe)
Thom, Margaret, 1907-09
Williams, Sylvia Doerring
Letter, October 2, 1995
Wilson, Ida Mae
Cedar Falls High School graduation program, June 2, 1896
SUI Quill, May 18, 1901, with article by Ida Mae Wilson
Wright, Mabel McNally
14 photographs of women's physical education and basketball teams in a scrapbook, 1903-1907 (daughter-in-law of David Sands Wright)
Zieman, Leland Herman
ISTC Diploma, 1930
State of Iowa Teachers Certificate, 1930
Web page created by Library Assistant Susan A. Basye, December 1997; initially placed on Web: December 19, 1997; last modified, February 21, 2011 (GP).