Today's Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
View more hours
Home / Our Collections / University Archives / History of Colleges and Departments / Business Department Names

Business Department Names

Descriptive Overview


Business courses, or their precursors, were first offered in the form of penmanship and bookkeeping courses in the Art Department. But the first instructional department that officially recognized business in its name was the Commercial Department in 1906. The name of this department changed to Commercial Education Department in 1909. This name persisted until 1922, when it combined with the Mathematics Department to become the Mathematics and Commerce Department, modified in 1927 to the Mathematics and Commercial Education Department.


In 1937, with the retirement of Ira S. Condit, head of the Mathematics and Commercial Education Department, the department split and Commercial Education emerged as an independent unit. This name persisted until 1946, when it became the Business Education Department. As the school's mission expanded to include more than the preparation of teachers, the Business Education Department became the Business and Business Education Department in 1965. In 1969 the business and teacher education emphases split into two departments: the Business Department and the Business Education and Office Administration Department. The Business Education and Office Administration Department became the Business Education and Administrative Management Department in 1980.


The Business Department became the School of Business in 1981, when it emerged from the College of Business and Behavioral Sciences, as a separate collegiate structure with its own roster of departments: Accounting, Management, Marketing, and Business Education and Administrative Management. The Economics Department moved from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences to the School of Business in 1985; its history is treated elsewhere. The School of Business became the College of Business Administration in 1989. The Accounting, Economics, Management, and Marketing Departments have continued under the same name to this day. The Business Education and Administrative Management Department changed to the Information Management Department in 1984 and continued under this name until 1989, when faculty were realigned and the new Finance Department was established in its place.



Chronology


1906-1909

Commercial


1909-1922

Commercial Education


1922-1927

Mathematics and Commerce


1927-1937

Mathematics and Commercial Education


1927-1946

Commercial Education


1946-1965

Business Education


1965-1969

Business and Business Education


1969-1980

Business

Business Education and Office Administration


1980-1981

Business

Business Education and Administrative Management


1981-1984

Accounting

Management

Marketing

Business Education and Administrative Management


1984-1989

Accounting

Management

Marketing

Information Management


1989-present

Accounting

Management

Marketing

Finance



 Links to Other Pages about Subject Area Department Name Changes



Links to Pages about Instructional Department Names


Need research help? Ask us!