The Youth Collection is dedicated to providing the resources and assistance needed for UNI faculty, staff, and students to best achieve their goals. We also support librarians and other interested parties throughout the state of Iowa, and community patrons from the Cedar Valley area. To do this, we offer a number of helpful services.
Although there are a range of titles in the Youth Collection, we take special care to make the best-of-the-best children's and young adult literature available for evaluation, study, and enjoyment.
- Every Monday selected titles of the most recent acquisitions are displayed on a browsing table near the Youth Collection offices.
- We address reference questions on a daily basis. While priority is given to UNI students, faculty, and staff making requests in person, we accept requests by phone, email, and U.S. mail as well.
- We provide collaborative instruction, curriculum/assignment development, resource support, book talks, and presentations to UNI education classes and to other UNI classes focusing on topics related to children's and young adult materials.
- Presentations and book talks focusing on topics related to children's and young adult materials are also available to any school or organization in Iowa. Contact Katelyn Browne (email@example.com) to schedule a visit or presentation.
- Katelyn also does a series of monthly(-ish) book talks during the academic year to discuss new youth materials from a collection development standpoint. These book talks are designed with the Iowa teacher-librarian in mind and cover books for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. If you would like to receive information about these book talks, e-mail Katelyn.
- We are currently piloting an "Inspection Collection" of review copies of new books sent directly from publishers, which are available for anyone to use in the library and are also used to help librarians and teachers with their collection development. Publishers who are interested in submitting books should contact Katelyn Browne, Youth Services Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Youth Collection is also involved in programming and special events, including story times, book discussions, and teen and youth activities.