down arrowMenu
Today's Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.    More hours
Home / Research Help / Undergraduate Guide to Rod Library / Understanding the Library

Understanding the Library


Maps of library

[Welcome to the Library YouTube Tour]

You may use UNISTAR to find materials in the locations listed on the tour.  After you do a search in UNISTAR, click on the Limit/Sort search button at the top.  Pick the location you are interested in from the drop-down menu: Where item is located.  When performing a keyword search, click on the Modify search button and then select from the Location drop-down menuNot all locations are represented in these menus.

Why do the call numbers start with letters?

Rod Library uses the Library of Congress classification system to classify library materials.  This system allows for greater expansion of the collection and is more suitable for larger libraries such as the Rod Library.  Library of Congress call numbers start with letters instead of numbers.  Books with call numbers A through K are on the third floor of the library and books with call numbers L through Z are on the top (fourth) floor.  Exceptions to this are the materials in the Youth Collection (third floor) which have Dewey Decimal classification and materials in the Documents Collection (second floor) which use the Superintendent of Documents classification system.  Documents call numbers also begin with letters but they may be distiguished from Library of Congress materials because documents contain a colon in their call numbers.

Where can you check out a book?

Circulation of Materials  This page provides an overview of Circulation and where materials may be checked out.

Borrowing Materials  This page gives more detailed information about checking out materials and also outlines, briefly, our policy on confidentiality.

Materials from the Fine & Performing Arts Collection may be checked out from the public service desk there.  The page Loan Periods and Fines includes more details.

Books placed on Reserve must be checked out from the Reserve Desk at the MultiService Center.  See Course Reserves for more information.

What is My Library Account?

My Library Account  This page includes information on My Library Account and how you can use it.
My Library Account Login  This is the My Library Account  sign in page.  It may be found on the main UNISTAR menu.  Click on the My Library Account link at the top of the page. 

How can you renew material you already have checked out?

You may renew materials you have checked out when you sign into My Library Account.

How can you place a "hold" on material you need that is checked out by someone else?

If what you need is already checked out, you may place a hold on it at the main Circulation Desk.  See the Access Services page: [Holds/Recalls/Searches] for more detailed information.

Where can you get material your professor has placed on Reserve?

Reserve materials are located in the Circulation Desk on floor 2 (see maps).  See the following document for more information: Course Reserves.  The Fine & Performing Arts Collection has its own Reserve Collection.  See the document:  Reserve Collection (Fine & Performing Arts) for more detailed information on these reserve materials.

Electronic Course Reserves page includes information about reserved materials available electronically.
You may search Course Reserves  by clicking on the Course Reserves tab at the top of the Rod Library home page.  You may also search through UNISTAR (the library's online catalog) by clicking on the Course Reserves tab at the top.  You will need either your professor's name or the course title.

Where can you use your own computer in the library?

Wireless and Hardwired Networking  Includes information on Internet access for personal computers in the library.  Before using your wireless, you must register it with Information Technology Services on campus.  Click here to find out more about that.

If you do not have a laptop computer available, you may check out a laptop from the circulation desk, use any computer located in a public space in the library, or any of the  Student Computer Centers on campus.

Where can you go to get training to use email, e-Learning, Microsoft Office 7 programs, and OneNote?

Information Technology Services
Training  | Current Month's Calendar View [of Workshops]
These workshops are open to all faculty, staff, and students at no charge.
See also: Technology and Training video tutorials (free online software training via over 66,000 video tutorials)

How can you get into library resources from off-campus?

See: Off Campus Access into Library Resources. This page provides information on what you need to do to gain access.  If you are a Distance Learning student, click here.

Where can you find a quiet place to study?

See: Quiet & Group Study Areas.  This page includes maps of the library showing quiet study areas.  Look for green areas on the 3rd and 4th floor maps for quiet study areas.

Where can you work with a group?

See: Study Rooms and Graduate Carrels.  This page includes information on Group study rooms.  For information on group study areas, and Collaborative Work Stations, see Quiet and Group Study Areas.  These are all areas in which you can work with a group. The floor maps show blue areas for group study areas and rooms. The bright green icons on the 2nd floor map indicate the location of the 4 Collaborative Work Stations.

Where can you get a book this library does not have?

See Interlibrary Loan Overview This page explains what Interlibrary Loan is and who can use it.  Interlibrary Loan forms   You can get to this page from the UNISTAR main menu.  Click on the Borrow from Other Libraries tab at the top of the main UNISTAR menu.  This page also includes a chat screen if you have questions about Interlibrary Loan. (You can get to UNISTAR by clicking on the Books and More tab on the Rod Library homepage). 

Where do you find...?

Where to Find It: Your Guide to Library Resources  Looking for something?  This is a guide for locating things in the library.  It also includes links to additional information.

What equipment/facilities/non-book materials are available in the library for student use?

Click here to view a list of these.

Many of the non-book materials in this list may be identified by using UNISTAR. After You do a keyword search in UNISTAR, click on the Modify search button at the top.  Next, pick a format from the Publication Type drop-down menu. Example: do a keyword search for Elton John and pick CD Music from the drop-down menu.  You may also limit your search to a specific library location from the Modify search screen.

Where do you get help?

Help is available in person at the Reference Desk, by telephone, through Instant Messaging chat, and through email.  See the links below for more details. Ask Us!  lists all the ways you can contact the library for assistance.  We are here to help you! Contact Us!  provides more detailed contact information for different areas of the library.

Where can you go for assistance if you are disabled?

See Library Users with Disabilities -- Services  This page provides information on Rod Library policies and services for library patrons with disabilities.


Lockers, located on the 1st and 3rd floors of the library, may be checked out from the Circulation desk.  All library material must be checked out before being stored in a locker.  A library employee will periodically search these lockers and remove library material that is not properly checked out.

Fun ways to learn about the library!

See the Library's [YouTube playlist]