If the OneSearch screen displays a red X and a notice indicating that the item is "Checked Out" that means the book is checked out and due on the date shown. You may ask us to hold it for you when it's returned by bringing your ID card and the book's call numbers to the Circulation Desk. Once a hold is placed on a book, a recall notice is sent to the person who has it. That person is entitled to keep the book for the full three-week loan period, but may return it sooner knowing someone is waiting for it. You will be notified by e-mail* when the book becomes available. A pick-up deadline will be stated on the notice; if you have not come in for the book by that time, it will be returned to the shelves. You can also place a hold on a checked out item by calling the Circulation desk at 273-2462.
If you should receive a recall notice for a book you have checked out, please be sure to bring it back by the date indicated on the notice, as fine rates increase by .50/day for students and $2.00/day for faculty and P & S employees for failure to respond to a recall. This is in addition to the regular overdue fine. Also, your library checkout privileges will be blocked until all overdue recalled items are returned. Recall notices will be sent via e-mail.
If there is no date under the STATUS line on the UNISTAR screen, but the item you want is not on the shelves, you may come to the Circulation Desk and request that we search for it. Again, bring your ID and the book's call number. Library staff members will begin looking for it before 1:00 p.m. on the following weekday. If an item you've requested is found at that time, or on subsequent searches, it will be held for you at the Circulation Desk and you will be notified by e-mail. Search requests may be made in person at the Circulation desk, by phone, or online.
Paging (Book Retrieval) Service
We are excited to offer a convenient service to our library patrons. If there is a book that you want to check out, but you are short on time, we will get the book and hold it at the Circulation Desk for you.
- What is your paging service? It’s a request for library staff to retrieve material from our collections and have it held for you.
- Who can place a request? Any UNI student, staff, or faculty member may make a page request us to retrieve material.
- What items may I request? You may request any item that is eligible to have a hold placed on it, which includes stacks books, DVDs, and CDs. You may not request Reserve items, current periodicals, or non-circulating material such as Reference or Special Collections items.
- What if the material is checked out? You can request to be put on the hold list for when the item is returned by clicking on the “Request” option near the top of the item's page in our online catalog. Please contact Circulation at (319) 273-2462 with inquiries,
Note: Patrons who have the book in their possession at the time we process page requests will have priority over requests. For example, if you request an item and a student comes to the desk with that item in their hand, they will be allowed to check out the item ahead of you. In that instance, you will be added to the hold queue and will be notified when the item becomes available again.
- How many items may I request at once? For faculty members the number is 50, and for P&S staff, Merit staff, graduate and undergraduate students 25.
- When and how can I request material? You may do so online at any time via the “Request” option in the online catalog. You may also call the Circulation Department at (319) 273-2462.
- How long will it take to process my request? Requests will be processed and ready for pick-up within 24 hours Monday-Friday.
- How will you notify me when my item is ready? You will be notified via email.
- How long will the material be held for me? Items are held for six days, youth material for 3.
- Where can I pick up my item? The Circulation Desk on the main floor.
- What happens if there is a problem with my request? If there is a problem we will send an email to your UNI email address explaining the situation. Contact the Circulation department with concerns at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 273-2462.
Rod Library offers a digitization service for most of the circulating material in the Rod Library. When logged into your library account, search for a desired title. Listed at the top of the item in the library catalog, there will be a Request and a Digitization option. Click on the Digitization option, and fill out the request form completely. Rod Library is only able to fill partial digitization requests that conform with Copyright guidelines. Once the request is approved, the average turn around time is 24 hours for requests placed Monday-Friday. The digitized files will be delivered to your email account.