The Assistive Technology area is located on the second floor of the library. All three computers are located on height adjustable tables with 24" computer monitors.
- Closed-circuit color camera system, which magnifies text and other visual material for viewing on the Merlin monitor.
- Merlin VGA Users Manual (PDF)
Open Book: Text-to-Speech Scanner and Reader Workstation
- OpenBook is installed on one computer in this area.
- The computer has a scanner that converts printed or graphic-based text into an electronic text format that can then be converted to audio using text-to-speech software.
- A set of headphones is attached so that you may listen to the audio output.
- Open Book Quick Start Guide (PDF)
ZoomText: Screen Magnifier & Reader with Speech Workstation
- ZoomText: Magnifier & Reader enables users to view their computer screen with enlarged text and/or customized colors and the read aloud the text selected on the screen.
- A set of headphones is attached so you can then listen to the audio output.
- The ZoomText workstation is also equipped with a ZoomText Keyboard.
- ZoomText Documentation Downloads
The following software is available on all computers in the Library:
JAWS: Screen Reading Software
The JAWS screen reader reads aloud the computer screen and enables users to use keystroke commands to navigate and access web pages and all screen content. Headphones checked out from the Library Services Desk or personal headphones can be attached to the computer so that you may listen to the audio output. JAWS for Windows Quick Start Guide
Read & Write Gold 12: Literacy Support Software
The Read & Write Gold toolbar provides word prediction, advanced spell checking and dictionary functions for use with programs such as Microsoft Word. Read & Write Gold Beginners Guide
ZoomText: Screen Magnifier
Computer screen magnification and screen color customization software so that Internet and other computer images can be viewed and accessed more easily. ZoomText Documentation Downloads